He arrived in Hobart on the brig "Henry" on 13 May 1832. He stayed with the Gamaliel Butler family and joined his brother James Charles Groom after he was married in 1835, at Moat Farm, near Carrick. Francis married Matilda Minnitt in 1839 an d took up residence on "Arlington", a property owned by Gamaliel Butler at Black Brush, on the road from Brighton to Broadmarsh. Census 1842. "Arlington". House of brick & stone. 19 persons on the premises. In 1843 the family moved to "Harefield", a property bought by James Foster Groom from Gamaliel Butler. The property was of 2560 acres (4 sq miles) and was on the Break O' Day Plains, just south of present St Marys. On 27 Feb 1847 he was gazetted as a Justice of the Peace. In 1863 he was a Municipal Councillor in the Fingal District. Cause of death kidney disease etc. Aged 73. Witnesses at wedding were Robert Wales, Sarah Hines, Elizabeth Jane Hines Report in Hobart Mercury 15/3/83 of visit to Harefield by the Governor.
One site states 28 July 1819 Hobart Tasmania
More About Francis Groom: Burial: Cullenswood.2267
More About Francis Groom and Matilda Emma Minnitt: Marriage: 04 Nov 1839, St John's Church, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.2268, 2269
Children of Francis Groom and Matilda Emma Minnitt are: