Looking for various information and relatives of the following families/persons and their descendants:
Chazen [Hassen, Khazen]. Of Truchenbrod (Russia/Ukraine). Three known children include 1. Yaacov Mayer Chazen [Jacob Mayer], 2. Schmeil-Tsui ben Lafe Rosenberg [Samuel Rosenberg] (born Abt 1836; died 17 June 1916 in Boston, Massachusetts) and 3. Unknown third son, whose descendants include David Ross and Sydney Ross.
Davidson, Issac and Rachel. Their daughter Bessie Davidson Mandelstam (born Abt 4 March 1838, died 24 June 1919).
Mandelstam, Issac Wolf (Abt May 1861, Riga, Russia; died 22 April 1955, Boston, Massachusetts).
Mattke, Gustav & wife Fredericke Hoese (Pomerania / Germany); Their three children (born in Stoeven, Pomerania): Peter (dates?, remained in Germany), Freidrick (1829-1905 to U.S. in spring 1863 with wife Fredericke Wille), & Gustav (1842-1905) Mattke.
Messer, Friedrich, Sr. (born 9 March 1853, Lewiston township, Wisconsin; died 6 January 1922). His parents (who presumably emigrated to U.S. and were born in Pomerania, Germany) would have been William Messer and Wilhelmina Gerlock, of which nothing is known.
Pfeil, Wilhelm F. (aka William; born 20 August 1827 in Treptow or Borghorst, Germany; died 23 December 1909 in Portage, Wisconsin) & wife Sophia Maria Keup (aka Sophia Seine Gallin, born 18 February 1827 in Voigtshagen, Pomerania, Germany, died: 8 March 1910 in Portage, Wisconsin). Sophia's father listed as Peter Kaupt and mother, Engle White (both of Germany).
Saperstin/Saperstein, Kalman Gershon (born Abt 1840, died 1917), remained in Russia with second wife with whom had three children.
- Eli & Naomi Rosenberg (49 KB)
Eli (Eliot) & Naomi Rosenberg
(N.B. This single photo file is actually two separate photos that are therefore not necessarily contemporary.)
- Johan & Beatta Höglund (24 KB)
Johan Simonsson Höglund (né Jåfs), wife Beatta, & their youngest daughter, Anna Sofia Johansdotter Höglund Brunell
- Jacob Mayer (46 KB)
Yaacov Mayer Chazen (Jacob Mayer) (?-1920).
- Jacob & Mary Spear, w/children (32 KB)
Jacob & Mary Spear, with children (from left): Joseph, Morris, & Elizabeth (ca. 1893).
- Barney Aronson? (Millie Rosenberg's husband) (59 KB)
Photo taken about 1901. Identity uncertain. (from Ben Mandell's scrapbook).
- Sarah Rosenberg's father (28 KB)
Only known photo of Sarah (Shiffra, & by marriage, Rosenberg)'s father.
- The Mandelstam children (55 KB)
Photo taken in 1956. From left: Rae, Gert, Dot, Ben, Max, Felix
- Unknown Rosenberg (?) #1 (39 KB)
Dress = late 1890s. (from Ben Mandell's photo album).
- The Mandelstam Family, circa 1909 (40 KB)
Back row, left to right: Felix, Gert, Isaac, Rae, Max.
Front row: Theodore, Rose, Ben, Dot.
- Pfeil group photo (41 KB)
Seated: Wilhelm F. Pfeil & wife Sophia Maria Keup.
Standing (right to left): Minnie (née Wilhelmina Pfeil) & her second husband, John McMahon.
- Children of Theodore & Wilhelmina (Pfeil) Miller (106 KB)
From left: Bertha Mathilda Miller (later Messer, 1883-1967), Theresa Miller (later Seeliger), Robert Miller (1880-1936), and Alvina Miller (later Kopplin). Photo 1890s.
- Unknown Rosenberg (?) #2 (27 KB)
(from Ben Mandell's photo album). (Photo: Whitmore Studio, Malden, Massachusetts)
- Mandelstams at the shore (34 KB)
Back row, left to right: Felix, Max, Gert, Rose, Hantze Blumenthal, Issac, Adolph Blumenthal
Front row, left to right: Dot, Rae, Theodore, Ben
- Augusta Mattke Messer (16 KB)
Augusta Mattke Messer (1857-1890)
- Isaac Mandelstam sounding the shofar (1950s) (30 KB)
Isaac Mandelstam sounding the shofar (1950s)
- Unknown Rosenberg (?) #3 (38 KB)
Perhaps the same person as "Unknown Rosenberg #4" ? (from Ben Mandell's photo album).
- *Bandit Shot in East Boston* - (Mandelstam, 1920) (414 KB)
"Pawnbroker Quick on the Draw" - front page of the Boston Evening Globe, December 14, 1920.
- Fred Mattke, Sr. (1829-1905) (81 KB)
Freidrich Gotthilf Mattke, Sr. Born 1829 in Stoeven, Pomerania, Germany. Died about 9 March 1905 in Sweet Home, Linn County, Oregon.
- Unknown Rosenberg #4 (43 KB)
This looks like Rose (see photo of "Rose Rosenberg Luftig) or it's a sister? See also "Unknown Rosenberg #3" (from Ben Mandell's photo album).
- *Bandit Shot in East Boston* (14 Dec. 1920), p. 2 (270 KB)
Boston Evening Globe, December 14, 1920, continued from first page.
- Fred & Augusta Messer family group (32 KB)
Seated left, Frederick Messer, Sr. (1853-1922); far right, his first wife, née Augusta F. Mattke (1857-1890). 4 children, eldest to youngest: Emma, Fred Jr., Bob & Ida.
- Mrs. Fred Mattke, Sr. (née Wille) (1829-1904) (89 KB)
Mrs. Fred Mattke, Sr., born Fredericke Augusta Henrietta Wille (1829) in Stoeven, Pomerania, Germany. Died 4 March 1904 in Sweet Home, Linn County, Oregon.
- Joseph Spear (1913) (19 KB)
Photo of Joe Spear taken in 1913.
- *Bandit is Shot by Pawnbroker* - (15 Dec. 1920) (172 KB)
"East Boston Man Victor in Dual with Gunman" (Isaac W. Mandelstam). Follow-up story, Boston Evening Globe, 15 December 1920.
- Samuel Rosenberg (132 KB)
Schmeil-Tsui ben Lafe Rosenberg (Chazen), aka Samuel Rosenberg (ca. 1836-1916)
- Ancestor tree for Meta Messer Johnson (158 KB)
Ancestor tree for Meta Messer Johnson
- Joseph Spear (1920) (20 KB)
Photo dated December 1920.
- John and Minnie McMahon (39 KB)
Minnie Miller McMahon (née Wilhelmina Pfeil) with her second husband, John McMahon.
- Charles & Harold Spear, 1927? (199 KB)
Sonny & Hal, 1927? A large watercolor was made from this original photo at the time.
- Isaac & Rose (Blumenthal) Mandelstam (35 KB)
Photos taken about 1929 / 1931.
- Sarah Rosenberg (78 KB)
Shiffra (Sarah) Rosenberg (1838-1921).
- Mary Rosenberg Spear (50 KB)
Mary (Miriam Rosenberg) Spear (ca. 1857-1949).
- Fred Messer, Jr. family, circa 1924 (72 KB)
Frederick William Messer, Jr. (1876-1956), his wife Bertha (née Bertha Mathilda Miller, 1883-1967) and their 8 children.
- Johnson Barn Raising (62 KB)
Putting up new barn on Al & Meta's farm, circa 1920.
- Messer clan (circa 1930) (43 KB)
From left (adults): Mel Shanks; Art York; Mildred M. York; Fred M., Sr.; Harley M.; Adeline Viola Borde M.; Al Johnson; Meta M. Johnson.
Children (from left): 1; 2; 3; Lois Johnson; 5.
- Isaac Mandelstam, certificate of citizenship, 1894 (191 KB)
Certificate of citizenship, 17 November 1894, with Boston Board of Elections stamps: 14 Nov 1895; 22 Aug 1896; 14 Oct 1898; 15 Dec 1909.
- Isaac Mandelstam, circa 1889 (53 KB)
Isaac Wolf Mandelstam (1859-1955).
Photo credit: Fred Green 140 Court St. Boston, Massachusetts
- Bertha Miller Messer and Thressa Champayne McMahon (28 KB)
Bertha (1883-1967), at left, is Minnie Pfeil's third (of 4) children by her first husband, Theodore Miller.
Thressa is the wife of Minnie's oldest child (of 4 by her second husband, John McMahon), William McMahon.
- Frederich G. Mattke petition for citizenship 1877 (145 KB)
Frederich G. Mattke petition accepted for citizenship, 11 December 1877.
- Rose Blumenthal Mandelstam (25 KB)
Rose Blumenthal Mandelstam (1865-1936).
- Gertrude Mandelstam wedding photo (16 KB)
Gertrude Mandelstam in wedding dress, 18 July 1921 (marriage to Joseph Spear).
- Fred & Bertha Messer - Marriage Certificate (1902) (169 KB)
Certificate 9 April 1902 marriage between Frederich Messer (parents = Frederich Messer [Sr.] & Auguste Mattke) and Bertha Miller (parents = Wilhelm Miller & Wilhelmine Pfeil).
- Joseph & Gertrude Spear (50 KB)
1940s photo. Joseph (1891-1975) & Gertrude Mandelstam (1892-1976) Spear.
- Elizabeth Rosenberg (42 KB)
Lizzie Rosenberg (daughter of Samuel and Shiffra/Sarah). Compare this photo to that of her mother, obviously taken in the same studio.
- Isaac Mandelstam, petition for citizenship 1894 (117 KB)
Isaac Mandelstam, 17 November 1894, certificate of oath taken for admission to U.S. citizenship.
- Four Generations, Rosenberg Women (37 KB)
Sarah Rosenberg (1838-1921), second from left, with her daughter Mary Rosenberg Spear (ca. 1857-1949), Mary's daughter Elisabeth Spear Sisson (1889-1984), & Liz's daughter Evelyn Sisson (Ordman, 1914-2004).
- Rose Rosenberg Luftig (?) (60 KB)
Rose Luftig, née Rose Rosenberg (Samuel and Sarah's daughter). (born: ? died: 1952). (perhaps question as to this being Rose; see photo labeled "Unknown Rosenberg #4")
- Isaac Mandelstam, petition for citizenship ca 1893 (117 KB)
(note that clerk misspelled first name and listed place of birth as "Poland Russia"!)
- Al & Meta Johnson, wedding photo (46 KB)
17 December 1924 wedding: Carl Alfred Johnson (1902-1972) & Meta Augusta Messer (1904-1983).
- Millie Rosenberg Aronson (53 KB)
Millie Aronson, née Mille Rosenberg (Samuel and Sarah daughter). Photo circa 1895. (born: ? died: 1951)
- Jacob & Mary Spear family, circa 1900 (41 KB)
From left: Liz, Mary, Jacob, Morris, Joe.
Pesach ? about 1900 (Joe was born in 1891).
- Al Johnson in his cornfield (45 KB)
(1950s? photo has tear marks)
- Rachel (Rae) Rosenberg Mandelbaum (Mandell) #1 (22 KB)
Rae Mandell, née Rachel Rosenberg (Samuel and Sarah's daughter). (born: November 1876, died: ?)
- Johans & Theresa (Pfeil) Thurler family, ca. 1910 (41 KB)
Back row, left to right: Julius, Ernest, Otto. Front: Johans, Louis, Theresa (nee Pfeil).
If Louis (youngest) was born in September 1904, this photo of the Thurlers would date from about 1910.
- Rachel (Rae) Rosenberg Mandelbaum (Mandell) #2 (50 KB)
Samuel and Sarah Rosenberg's daughter
- Theresa Pfeil Thurler (125 KB)
Theresa Alvine Pfeil Thurler (1871-1940)
- The Luftigs: Morris, Rose (Rosenberg) and Esther (40 KB)
Morris Luftig, his wife Rose (née Rosenberg) and their daughter Esther.
- Fred (Sr.) & Augusta (Mattke) Messer farm (92 KB)
Fred & Augusta Messer at their farm, with Fred's parents and hired farm hand (in white shirt). (Farm later sold to Freddie Beich.)
- Fred (Sr.) & Augusta (Mattke) Messer farm (detail) (168 KB)
From left: Fred Messer's parents (seated), his wife Augusta Mattke Messer (1857-1890) holding (unknown) child's hand, Fred Messer (Sr.) (1853-1922), and hired hand (in white shirt). Augusta (Fred's first wife) died in 1890: photo is prior to then.