They had ten children one of which died in infancy. The children were: Effie May, Charlotte "Lottie" Marie, Floyd Ray, Bernice Mary, Edward, Bessie Helena, William Adrian, Claude, Hilda Jane, and Gladys Emmaline. August and Emmaline were married May 27, 1886 and lived to celebrate their 50th and 55th wedding anniversary. The following was copied from a newspaper article about the celebration of their 50th anniversary:

August J. Courtad and Emmaline Von Blon


Anniversary Observed by local Couple Here Sunday

Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Courtad celebrated their golden wedding anniversary Sunday at their home on North Fourth Street and eight of their nine children, all of whom survive, were able to be present for the happy occasion. The home was prettily decorated with cut flowers. At noon a delicious chicken dinner was served. Mr. and Mrs. Courtad with their children were seated at a large table arranged with yellow roses and a three-tier wedding cake baked by their daughter, Mrs. Harrison Feeley, which bore a miniature bride and bridegroom and golden floral decorations, while the grandchildren were served at small tables centered with yellow roses.

In the afternoon fiends and relatives called to wish Mr. and Mrs. Courtad many more happy anniversaries.

Mr. Courtad is in his seventy first year and Mrs. Courtad is in her sevenieth year. The former was born on the family homestead, east of town, where he lived until the time of his marriage to Miss Emmaline Von Blon, who was born near Mexico, where she lived until six months old, when she with her parents moved near Smithville where she resided until her marriage, when Mr. and Mrs. Courtad went to housekeeping on the bridegrooms fathers farm.

Twenty-eight years of age Mr. and Mrs. Courtad bought their farm, northeast of town, where they resided until last September, when they moved to their home in this city, they both spending their lives in Wyandot county. The nine children of Mr. and Mrs. Courtad are Mrs. Effie Payne, of this city; Mrs. Harrison Feeley, of north of town; Floyd Courtad, who resides on the home farm, northeast of town; Mrs. John Swinehart, of east of town; Claude Courtad of Columbus; Mrs. Lewis Hetzel, of this city; and Mrs. Curtis Brown, of east of town. Mr. and Mrs. Courtad also have twenty-six grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

Mr. and Mrs. Courtad received many beautiful gifts, flowers, and cards for which they wish to thank many friends.

Local Couple Married 55 Years Tuesday May 1941

Mr. and Mrs. August Courtad of North Fourth Street, quietly celebrated their fifty-fifth wedding anniversary Tuesday. Their children from this city and community called in honor of the occasion.

Mr. and Mrs. Courtad are both natives of Wyandot County and have always resided in this county. They moved to Upper Sandusky several years ago from a farm northeast of town. They have nine living children, 27 grandchildren and five great grandchildren. Mr. Courtad, who is enjoying good health is 75 years of age, and his wife is 74,she has been ill for the past five months.

Congratulations on your anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Courtad.

Four months after their 55th wedding anniversary, Emmaline died. The following was copied from the obituary for Emmaline (Von Blon) Courtad:

Mrs. August Courtad Dies Here Sunday (September 28, 1941)

Aged Resident Succumbs After Extended Illness (Cancer)

Mrs. August Courtad, age 74, highly respected resident of this city, passed away quietly at her home at 235 North Fourth Street, Sunday afternoon at 4:10 o’clock. Her death was attributed to complications. She had been bedfast for nine months, during which time she was a very patient sufferer, and all loving hearts and willing hands could do was done to no avail.

Mrs. Courtad, whose maiden name was Emmaline Von Blon, was born October 27, 1866 in Seneca County, the daughter of the late John and Mary Jane (Thompson) Von Blon. She united in marriage with August Courtad May 27, 1886. He survives with nine children. They are Mrs. William Swayze of Litchfield, Michigan; Mrs. Harrison Freeley of this city; Floyd Courtad of northeast Upper Sandusky; Mrs. John Swinehart, of southeast of town; Mrs. Arthur Burks, of northeast Upper Sandusky; Adrian Courtad, of southeast of this city; Claude Courtad of Columbus; Mrs. Lewis Hetzel of this city; and Mrs. Curtis brown of southeast of town. One son, Edward, died in infancy. She leaves 27 grandchildren and seven great grandchildren, also one sister, Mrs. Martin J. (Mary Ida) Courtad of this city, and two brothers, William Von Blon of Sycamore, and George Von Blon of Smithville.

One sister, Mrs. Lewis (Julia) Schleif, preceeded her in death.

Mr. and Mrs. Courtad resided on their farm northeast of Upper Sandusky for 28 years, moving to this city six years ago. They quietly celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary in May of this year.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday morning at 9o’clock from St. Peters Catholic Church, of which she was a member, with Rev. William J. McKeown in charge. Burial will be made in Old Mission Cemetery.

AJ lived on to the age of 92 and a notice was in the local newspaper congratulating him on his 92nd birthday. It reads as follows:



August Courtad Honored on 92nd Birthday

August Courtad quietly celebrated his 92nd birthday anniversary Sunday at the home of his son and daughter in law, Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Courtad on North Fourth Street.

Mr. Courtad wishes to thank all those who remembered him with cards, flowers, gifts and beautiful cake. Those calling in the afternoon were served ice cream and cake.

When friends departed they wished Mr. Courtad many more happy anniversaries.

August, or as he was known, "AJ", was a farmer and lived on their farm northeast of Upper Sandusky for 28 years. When he retired from farming they moved into Upper Sandusky and resided at 235 North Fourth Street. According to family members, in his younger years he was a champion wrestler winning a variety of local matches in the area. August and Emmaline are both buried in the Old Mission cemetery in Upper Sandusky. August was catholic and the son of Johann Petrus (John Peter) Courtad and Clementine Zircher. They had nine children. This John Peter appears to be the first in the line to drop the "e" from the end of his surname, although it is seen both ways.

Johann Petrus (John Peter) Courtad

John Peter immigrated to this country from Strasburg Alsace France with twelve brothers and sisters and his parents –Johannes Petrus Courtade and Mary Ann Frey - in 1832 abroad the ship the Logan Boston. He was on the ocean for 63 days and the ship landed in Baltimore. They lived in Pennsylvania and later moved to Seneca County Ohio. Later they moved to Iowa and still later moved back to Seneca County where his father died in 1848 at age 68. Johannes Petrus Courtade and Mary Ann Frey had 19 children altogether including three sets of twins. Peter was first married to Catharine Simonis and had four children from this marriage. After she died he married his housekeeper – Clementine Zircher and had nine children with her including August. Peter was one of the pioneer members of the St. Peter’s Church of Upper Sandusky and donated to this church, a window and a life size statue of his patron saint - St. Peter. The statue continues to occupy a niche on St. Joseph's altar. They are both buried in the St. Peters Catholic Cemetery in Upper Sandusky section 3 lot 50.

Johann Petrus (Peter) Courtad was also the son of Johan Petrus Courtad and Mary Ann Frey. The first Johann Petrus Courtad was born February 16, 1784 in Alsace France and died in 1848 in Seneca County Ohio. He married Mary Ann Frey in 1804. He was the son of Dominique Courtad and Eva Marie Weber. Dominique was born in 1720 and died November 28, 1795 in Altenstadt, Bas-Rhin France. Dominique was the son of Bertrand Courtade and Catharine Tujague.

The following was taken from the history of Wyandot County Ohio (The Peter named below was the father of August and Martin was a brother to August):

Peter Courtad was born near Strasbourg, Alsace, France, October 20, 1811. He is a son of John Peter and Mary A. (Frey) Courtad, who emigrated to America in 1832, being sixty-three days on the ocean, and the ship landed at Baltimore. They located in Seneca County, Ohio. They removed to Iowa in 1841, where they resided until 1844, at which date they returned to Seneca County, Ohio, where the father died in 1848, aged sixty three years; the mother died in Sandusky City about 1853, aged sixty-eight years. Peter Courtad removed to this county from Seneca in 1864, and settled on his present farm. He owns ninety-six acres near Upper Sandusky, valued at $85 per acre-earned by hard labor. He was married in Seneca County, Ohio, January 20, 1840, to Catharine Simonis, four children resulting from this marriage, one deceased; they are Mary A., born January 1842; Margaret, February 23, 1845; Lawrence, December 23, 1847, and Peter D., October 17, 1849; the latter deceased since September 15, 1873. The death of Mrs. Courtad occurred December 8, 1852, and Mr. Courtad was again married in Seneca County May, 1853, to Clementine Zircher, daughter of Ignatz and Mary M. (Lehman) Zircher, and nine children were born this union, seven living-John, born January 4, 1855; Joseph A., March 14, 1857; Francis A., August 7, 1862; Elizabeth M., February 13, 1864 all born in Seneca County; August J., March 9, 1866; Martin J., March 14, 1868; Magdalene, February 6, 1872-born in Wyandot. John (an infant) and Louis are deceased. Mrs. Courtad was born in France December 30, 1829, and emigrated to America in 1838 with her parents, who settled in Shelby County, where the father died in 1868, the mother in 1863. Mr. and Mrs. Courtad are members of the Roman Catholic Church, he being a Democrat politically.

Martin Courtad was born in Alsace, France, Jane 16,1819. His parents were John P. Courtad and Mary A. Frey, who emigrated to America in 1832. Martin Courtad resided with his parents in Seneca County, Ohio, till he became of age, and then went to Galena, Ill., where he graduated in a high school. Finishing his education, he followed carpenter work for a tome. In 1848, he came to Sandusky City, Ohio, and April 12, 1849, he was married to Eve Simonis, daughter of John and Mary Simonis, of Seneca County, Ohio. Mrs. Courtad was born April 1, 1832. After working for several years in Sandusky City, he and family went to the Lake Superior copper mines, where he followed his trade eighteen months. He then came to Seneca County, Ohio, bought a small farm, where he lived till 1861 when be sold out and came to Crane Township, and bought a farm of eighty acres valued at $80 per acre. Mr. and Mrs. Courtad are the parents of fourteen children, one deceased. They are as follows: Charles, in March 16, 1850; John Henry April 28, 1852; Joseph L., born April 5, 1854; Magdalena, born May 11, 1856 George, born January 24, 1858; Anthony, born May 7, 1860; W. Frank, born December 19, 1861; Martin, born December 29, 1864; James, born January 20, 1866;. Mary, born January11, 1868; Margaret, born March 4, 1876; Michael, born September 29, 1871; Elizabeth K., born November 1, 1875; Albert, born January 6, 1878, Martin died July 26, 1881. Mr. Courtad has a fine farm, and is highly esteemed as a citizen. He and his family are strict adherents of the Catholic faith.

The following was taken from the History of St. Peter’s Church:

Martin Courtad is one of the oldest living members of St. Peter's Church. He is a hale, old gentleman, with good prospects of reaching the advanced age of four score and ten. He is the fifth son of John Peter and Mary Ann (Frey) Courtad, and was born June 16th., 1819, at Altenstadt, in the province of Lorraine on the French and German border. He emigrated to America with his parents in 1832, leaving the port of Havre, France, on board the Logan-Boston, and landed at Baltimore, after a sail of sixty days, immmediately going to Bellefount, Pennsylvania, where the family stayed for a short time, then proceeding westward to Seneca County, Ohio where they had acquaintances living, and went to farming near Adrian. After living there with his parents seven years, he started out in life, going to Galena, Illinois, and worked at the carpenter trade. He remained there seven years more and then joined two of his brothers in the copper mines of Lake Superior. In the fall of 1848, he went to Sandusky City, Ohio, where, on the 12th. of April, 1849, he married Eva Simonis, daughter of John and Mary Ann Simonis. He resided at Sandusky City until the later part of 1856, then removed with his family to the copper regions on Lake Superior, settling down at Eagle Harbor, was employed there at carpentering for about two years, and returned to Seneca County, Ohio, purchased 40 acres of land immediately north of Adrian, disposing of this place after a residence of six years. He came to Wyandot County in 1863, purchasing a farm of 80 acres from Curtis Barry, Jr. situated three and one-half miles northeast of Upper Sandusky, which he made his permanent home. He is the father of fourteen children namely: Charles, Henry, Joseph, Mrs. Mathias Strasser, George, Anthony, William Frank, (Martin, who died July 26,1881), James, Mrs. Clinton Schaefer, Mrs. W. E. Lowery, Michael, Catherine, Elizabeth, and Albert. Mr. and Mrs. Courtad celebrated their 50th. marriage anniversary in 1899.


John Swinehart’s mother was Margaret Heininger. Margaret was the daughter of John Heininger and Mary Margaret Wilt (the daughter of Henry Wilt and Mary Star). According to documents written by his son John Stanley Heininger written in about 1938 and a copy included in the appendix to this document, John Heininger was born April 11, 1830 in Basil Switzerland and died March 3, 1898 in Little Sandusky Ohio. His mother died when he was born and a sister raised him on horse mare’s milk. His father died when he was six years old. He came to America when he was 17 years old in an old sailboat and was on the ocean for 90 days, shipwrecked and drifted for 30 days. He had one sister and no brothers. He lived in Little Sandusky and was married to Mary Margaret Wilt who was born February 26, 1834 in Alsace France and died November 11, 1905 in Little Sandusky Ohio. Both are buried in the Little Sandusky Cemetery. I have included a copy of a 15-page document that was handed down to Aunt Emma and Aunt Mattie and then to Wanda Lee Fulscher, which is written by Lela Leigh Heininger (married Leonard E. Baker), one of John Stanley Heininger’s children. The document describes the early life in the Heininger family.

John and Mary Heininger Family

Back row left to right: Emma, Margaret, and John Stanley

John Heininger and Mary Wilt had the following children: Caroline, Mary Louisa, Charles Wesley, Robert Nelson, Emma and Margaret. He was a co-founder of the Emmanuel Reformed Church of Upper Sandusky and died as a result of hanging himself. It is interesting that neither Darrel, Mariam, nor Wanda Lee recalled ever hearing this before about their grandfather. Apparently the family kept this as private as possible even from the grandchildren.

The following is copied from the Obituary for John Heininger dated March 3, 1898 from the Upper Sandusky Wyandot Chief newspaper:


John Heininger, Sen., Hangs Himself This Morning.

Finishes Churning Butter

Takes a ladder and rope, goes out to a tree and swings himself into eternity – awful deed of one of Pitt Townships most honorable residents.

Our citizens were greatly excited today over the report that John Heininger, sen. Of Pitt Township, had destroyed his own life, and at first the horrible news could not be believed, but later developments only proved it too true. Mr. and Mrs. Heininger, sen., reside on one of the best farms in Pitt Township, about one mile north of Little Sandusky, and no more exemplary people find homes in Wyandot County than the Heiningers. For some time past Mr. Heininger has been sick, in fact he has been ailing all winter and had just recently arose form a sick bed. While in the Chief office a short time ago we had a long and pleasant conversation with Mr. Heininger and he told us he frequently was troubled with severe pains in the head, the result of an attack of lagrippe. This morning Mr. and Mrs. Heininger arose early as usual, and after breakfast Mr. Heininger helped his good wife in the in-door work by doing the churning. Something after 8 o’clock he left the house saying he had a few chores to perform. That was the last seen of him alive. Taking a ladder and a small clothesline he disappeared down a by lane, which leads to some of his fields. Upon reaching a white oak tree Mr. Heininger stacked the ladder and climbed to a large limb about twelve feet from the ground. Walking out on the limb he adjusted the rope to a smaller limb. Then tying the rope around his neck he jumped off. His weight stretched the rope so that his feet were probably five feet from the ground. Here the poor man hung until about 9o’clock, when Charles Wiest, the teacher and some of the scholars at the Heininger schoolhouse, a short distance from the scene of the tragedy, saw an object believed to be a man dangling in mid air. Mr. Wiest at once went over to the tree and was horrified to find that the object hanging there was John Heininger. He immediately notified the family, and soon news of the tragedy spread over the township like wildfire. Mr. Heininger’s children, John Heininger jun., Mrs. Joseph Swinehart and Mrs. Henry Nitrauer, were notified of the awful tragedy, and Will Stalter came to town for Coroner G.O. Maskey and undertaker ed miller. Both gentlemen at once went to the Heininger home. Dr. Maskey examined the remains and found that the man’s neck was broken. The coroner’s verdict was that death came by his own hand, while laboring under temporary insanity.

Mr. Heininger was a native of Switzerland, and was born in 1830 (??). For years he was a consistent member of the Emanual Reformed church of Pitt Township. He was always a pleasant, industrious man and had by his labors become quite comfortably fixed, while his home life was an ideal one. Mr. Heininger was honest in all his dealings, correct in his habits, and his word was always as good as his note. That a man like Mr. Heininger should destroy his own life, can only be attributed to temporary insanity.

The funeral will occur from Mr. Heininger’s late home, Saturday afternoon at 1 o’clock. The remains will be interred in the Little Sandusky Cemetery.

Von Blon

August Courtad was married to Emmaline Von Blon who was the daughter of John or Johannes Von Blon and Mary Jane Thompson.

John Von Blon Family (Emmaline seated on right)



Standing: Martin J. Courtad, Ethel Von Blon, William Von Blon, George Von Blon, and August J. Courtad. Seated: Mary Ida Courtad – holding Pauline, John Von Blon – holding Clarence, and Emmaline Courtad – holding Gladys.