Notes for William Herbert, Jr: His father William Sr. died at the beginning of the Rev. War. William lived in Virginia along the New River before 1800 when he moved to NC on the New River. William built Iron Forges on 3000 acres along the New River and Little River in Ashe County, NC. (Now Allegheny County) in the Gap Civil Precinct of NC. He joined the Little River Babtist Church in 1832. He forged steel during the Rev War to support war efforts of the Colonies. William built the "Harbard's Bloomery Ferry" on the New River in Grayson County, VA 1800-1814. He operated the the "Little River Forge" until 1823 when he sold his interest in the forge to Joseph Alexander in 1823.
He served in the NC House of Representatives in 1825. Williams son-in-law Robert Thompson and Joseph Alexander jointly owned the steel Forge . In 1835 William and Polly joined the Little River Babtist Church. It is believed that he was buried in the Cemetery in Whitehead, Allegheny County NC. (Near Sparta, NC).
Court notes from Ashe Co., NC that Carolyn (e-mail Indepmac@aol.com) found are as follows: from: LDS FHL Microfilm #0018167
Ashe Co., NC Court Minutes, Wills & Inventories, State of NC
1809 - A deed from Jno Cauley to Wm. Harbert & Robt (Lawson or Thompson) for 250 Acres the hand Ret_ of one of the subscribing witness prove by Wm. Banley (hard to read).
November Term 1808 at a county court begun and held for the county of Ashe on the First Monday being the 7th day of Nov 1808.
"A deed from Isaac Wilborn to Wm. Harbert & Robt Thomson 150 acres. Proven by oath of James Johnson.
A deed from Isaac Wilborn to Wm. Harbert & Robert Thomson for 95-1/2 acres proven by oath of James Johnson.
Above records duplicated - possibly for another 150 and another 95-1/2 acre plots.
February term 1809 - Johnson Hunter records his mark. Thus a swolly fork in the right ear. (possibly a cattle or other livestock brand).
ASHE CO., NC - Minutes, county court of pleas and quarter sessions years: May 1806-Feb 1821, pages 1-327, 381, 384-387
State of NC August Term 1810 The jury assented to lay a road met and found a Road. The wagon road between Morris Bakers and David Nolen through Blekers Gajpj Jacaway School House to Lenox (Fenox?) Creek road by Wade Spence s then down the branch cross the north fork at Smiths old field and down the river to the mouth of Helton and up the creek to the Forge (Harbert s were big on smelting metals) and the Court orders that James Dickson and Jonathan Baker be head Overseers and call on Jno Richardson, Jno Baker Wm Yates Johnson Hunter Levi Penington Davis Noten Jno Ellar Danl Dickson and their companies to help open the same.
As you can see, apparently Martha's father Wm. Harbert, Jr. & Johnson were both in that county in ca. 1809-1810. By at least 1813, they were in Pickaway Plains (Circleville), OH. Membership for Johnson Hunter is shown in the Masonic Lodge there as follows from Ohio Masonic Archives:
We have been unable to find any record that he was a Mason in TX.
Lisle Hunter wrote:
> In going back over R. H. 's little book, which edited by William D. Wittliff, > I discovered that he did some research also. He has the same birth date as we > have, May 22, 1787, but he has got J. H. born in N.C. and Martha as born in > Virginia. He also has her as Herbert.
Notes for WILLIAM HERBERT, SR :
On 20 April 1763, William Herbert (Sr.) made an agreement with Col. John Chiswell, on behalf of partners John Robinson & Wm Byre, to proceed to the Colony of Virginia by a vessel provided by Chiswell, from the port of Bristol with his wife and her "maid servant." Beginning on 20 April 1763, Herbert was to serve a seven year term of employment at the rate of L.130 sterling. In addition, Chiswell was to provide him with a "good and convenient dwelling house for his station with convenient out houses for his cattle and twenty acres of good pasture ground." If Herbert "should be minded to quit" and return to Bristol, England, Chiswell agreed to pay for the return of Herbert and his wife and her maid as well as any child or children they might have. This return could take place after a three year period of service and written notice (Deposition of Wm. Herbert, Herbert vs. Ferrell, lawsuit included in Chiswell Judgements, Box 32, May Term 1827, Wythe Co. Circuit Court Clerk's Office.
In the agreement with Chiswell, Herbert indicated he was to act as "manager or conductor" of their "works for smelting and refining ores and metals in the said colony to which art or mystery your orator (Herbert) had been regularly brought up. " The lawsuit also refers to others brought from Bristol to work for Chiswell. They were David Herbert, Sr. (Wm.'s father), David Herbert, Jr. (Wm.'s brother) and John Jenkins (Wm.'s brother-in-law, who married Wm's sister Mary). Also included were Roger Oates, Charles Devereaux and Evan Williams and "sundry others." The men as a group were referred to as the Welsh miners, although they were hired in Bristol, England. The Mendip Hills west of Bristol, coal mines, and other mining activities in and near Bristol apparently brought the miners across the Bristol Channel from Wales.
On 6 March 1764, Herbert wrote to William Byrd, one of the partners at the mines, and the address he used was "The Welsh Mines." Generally the mines were referred to as Chiswell's mines. The letter gave Herbert's opinion of the mines, which he described as "the appearance of the vain of the surfuis is such as I never had seen before all tho I have seen most mines of note in His Majestys Uropean dominions."
In 1767, he purchased his first land from Richard Stanton. This tract was 460 acres at Poplar Camp, a tract granted to John Bingamin in 1753 (Augusta Co. Deed Book 14, p.424) In 1769, Herbert was recommended as a justice of the peace for Augusta Co. In that same year he was listed as a representative of Boiling Springs Presbyterian Congregation, a church located in the vicinity of the boiling spring on the north side of Reed Creek near Graham's Forge (Wilson, Tinkling Spring, p. 171)
When the new County of Botetourt was formed, William was recommended as justice of the peace in 1770 and received the appointment. He presented to the Botetourt County Court, a captain's commission in the military and took the usual oaths at the same time he took the oath as Justice of the Peace, and Justice of the County Court in Chancery and Justice of Oyer and Terminer.
On 10 May 1770, William Herbert, Sr., was ordered to take the list of tithables on the New River and "waters thereof" on both sides, as high as Sayers. In June 1771, he took the list for his own company, and in 1773, John Montgomery took the list in Herbert's Company (Summers, Annals, pp. 82, 126, 606) The surviving lists for 1771 contains 123 names and a total of 156 tithables (Wm. Herbert, Jr. was listed)
When Fincastle County was formed, Herbert was again recommended to serve as a justice of the peace.
In 1773, Herbert was appointed overseer of the road from his ferry to the head of Poplar Camp Creek. With the ferry in operation and many people on the move, after the Indian problems were settled, it seemed fitting that Herbert - located at a strategic river crossing, would apply for an ordinary license. He did this on 3 November 1773, and the location was given as "where George Forbush formerly lived" ( Summers, Annals, p. 620)
The old English derivation of the name Herbert means a soldier who was famous in battle. It seemed logical that William Herbert should also take up the sword. Already a leader of the county militia, he was well prepared to lead his men in Dunmore's War in 1774. He was among the first to be asked to draft fifty men from his company for service against the Indians. They were to join Captain Smit at his station near the head of the Clinch.
Following the close of the war the auditor recorded the sum paid each man who served in the war with the number of days he served. Herbert received L42 for his service of 112 days as captain (see Kegley, Soldiers of Fincastle Co., Va., 1774)
After his return from Point Pleasant and the Ohio, Herbert was chosen to serve as a member of the Second Committee of Safety and was appointed on 7 Nov. 1775. He attended the meetings of 27 Nov 1775 and 10 Jan 1776. On 28 May 1776, he wrote in his will that he was "sick of body." On 11 Jun 1776 he was unable to attend to the militia, and the Committee of Safety recommended that Jeremiah Pierce replace him as captain.
Sometime in the summer of 1776, Herbert died. His exact date of death and his burial place are unknown, although it is likely that he is buried somewhere on his Poplar Camp plantation. On 3 September 1776 his will was recorded in Fincastle Co. (Fincastle-Montgomery Will Book B, p. 31)
Following is from an article from "Wythe County Historical Review," No. 10, Jan 1976, p. 13 & 14, "Past distinguished Citizens of Wythe Co."
Wythe Co. had a rare distinction in regard to the lives of great men. This county has had many distinguished citizens over the years from its very beginning. A few selected are discussed below:
As we think of the lower end of the county, it brings to mind the name of Stephen Austin, born 3 Nov 1793 at the Lead Mines, Austinville. (Note that Mary Martha Harbert was born there 29 August 1792, a little over a year earlier). It was Stephen's father, Moses Austin, who after failing at Austinville and moving to Missouri, conceived the idea that Texas should be settled by pioneer American stock, and it was Stephen Austin who carried out his father's dying request to make Texas an Anglo-Saxon Commonwealth. As the "Gather of Texas" he has been honored there, while we do honor here by the continuous mining of metal at Austinville.
Just down the river was Herbert's Ferry, owned and operated by William HERBERT, a pioneer settler and large land owner. He was Captain of Militia in Dunmore's War. The ferry is kno known as Jackson's Ferry and was in operation until 1930. The Old Shot Tower across the river was built about 1820 for the manufacture of shot. Captain William Herbert, Sr., and Captain William Herbert, Jr., were both influential men of their day.
Captain Walter CROCKETT, another early settler and signer of the (Fincastle) Resolutions, was at Point Pleasant Indian Expedition in 1774. He was a famous Indian fighter, suppressor of a Tory uprising in 1779, and later county lieutenant and clerk of Wythe County. He lived at Poplar Camp, but built a mill in Crockett's Cove, where the name Crockett has been on of prominance ever since. Article from "Wythe County Historical Review," No. 13, Jan 1978, p.3, has a picture of Poplar Camp today, taken from the Shot Tower. "Early Adventures on The Western Waters," Vol. III, Part 1, by Mary Kegley on p.290 has a picture of the Jackson House which still stands in sight of the shot tower. It is believed that this home was the home of Thomas Jackson, and earlier may have been the home of the Herberts and Evans families who lived there prior to 1815.
From: "Capt. William Herbert," by Mary B. Kegley: William Herbert (1733-1776) was the first superintendent of record of the Lead Mines in present Wythe Co. He arrived in the Poplar Camp community some time prior to 1765. This unusual English gentleman held several responsible civic postions, operated a ferry across the New River, managed a mill and an ordinary, and served as a captain of the local militia. He was also a leader in the Presbyterian Church and a member of the Second Committee of Safety of Fincastle Co. When he died in 1776, at 43, his estate revealed he had been a man of wealth, education and unusual interests. In spite of all his achievements, he is not well known in Wythe Co., perhaps because most of his heirs moved away from the New River community.
All of Herbert's pursuits are interesting and could be stories in themselves, bu perhaps the most valuable information regarding the community is found in the militial lists when he was Capt. William Herbert. It is this aspect of his life that will be discussed here.
Herbert presented his captain's commission to the Botetort Co. Court on May 8, 1770 and took the usual oath of office. At the same time, he also took oath as "Justice of the Peace, of a Justice of the County Court in Chancery & a Justice of Oyer & Terminer." On May 10 he was ordered to take a list of tithables on the New River "and the east side thereof to the present Pulaski Co. was to take the tithables as far as Sayers, and Walter Crockett was to record those between Sayers & the head of Reed Creek. Only Ingles' list has survived. However, in June 1771, and again the following year, Herbert recorded the list for his own militia company. For some unknown reason, John Montgomery and James McGavock too the lists of Herbert's company in 1773 and 1774, respectively.
Herbert's tithable lists were actually district tax records of the white men of the community between 16 and 50 years of age. Each male in this category was to pay his share of the county, public, and parish levies for himself and his slaves of the same age, unless excused by the county court for charitable reasons. Not only did the lists provide tax records, they were also census records of sorts of the people who resided in the communtiy. In addition, when the call for military action came, as it did in 1774, men were selected for active duty from the tithable lists.
Herbert resided in the Poplar Camp neighborhood, but the district he was responsible for encompassed a larger area. (discussion of lists continues). All persons of the 123 listed in 1771, there were eight with 2 each, 3 w/ 3 each, one w/ 4 and 5 each and William Herbert, who had 8 tithables.
In 1774 when trouble seemed inevitable on the frontier because of attacks by the Shawnee Indians, Herbert was among the first militia captains to be asked to draft fifty men from his company for service. They were involved in the Battle of Point Pleasant and there were 29 who crossed the Ohio in pursuit of Indians. Several men were lost in this battle. Capt. Wm. Herbert received pay of 42 pounds at a rate of 7/6 for 112 days of service. In analyzing the more than 200 names found on the three lists, it will be noted that fewer than 10 of Herbert's soldiers appeared on his list of tithables. However, upon examining the other companies mentioned in "Soldiers of Fincastle County, 1774," it will be noted that numerous other tithables from Herbert's company were paid for service with other captains. Nevertheless, these three lists provide names of more than 200 men of the 1700's who knew William Herbert as their leader, neighbor, and captain of the local militia in what are now Wythe, Carroll and Grayson counties.
Will of William Herbert (Sr.) From Wythe County Courthouse records: Herbert, William, will written 28 May 1776, probated 3 Sep. 1776 (Bk B, 31) Appraisal Nov. 1778 by Andrew BoydJames Buchanan and Adam Dean (Bk B, 41). Stephen Trigg and James McCorkle administrators. Will mentions wife Sarah who gets Poplar Camp plantation where Herbert lives, eldest son William (Jr), plantation where Joseph Barron, Jr. lives on Reed Island Creek; another plantation know as Big Meadows or Tom Reah's cabin; another called Round Meadow or Henry Goad's place; & other lands. At mother's death Poplar Camp plantation to go to youngest son Thomas who also received other land including the place where Josiah Hamilton lives; eldest daughter Martha (not Mary Martha Harbert who married Johnson Hunter, she is later kin); youngest daughter, Joanna; father & mother (would be David Herbert & Martha?); money due from Mr. Ogburn, Iron Monger in West Street, "without lawful Gate, Bristol in old Ingland." Plantation on the Clinch to eldest son William. Appointed Walter Crockett & John Montgomery, Senr. executors. The widow Sarah Herbert Day, wife of Francis Day presented the will for probate. CWH note: Sarah married Francis Day about 3 months after William died and protested the terms of this will.
Marriage Notes for William Herbert and Sarah Fry:
The marriage bond for Wm Herbert, Sr. & Sarah Fry is dated 13 Dec. 1758. It indicates that Wm & Sarah were from the Parish of St. Philips & Jacob, County of Gloucester, Diocese of Bristol, that Wm, was a "Smelt Refiner of Silver," and that Sarah Fry was a spinster. The baptismal register (1758-1774) of St. Philip & Jacob, Bristol, shows that the first child of the Herberts was born dead on 19 August 1759. The second child Johanna, was born 16 September 1762, when the family lived on Avon Street in the heart of the city of Bristol, England, not far from the present shot tower. It is possible that this Johanna Herbert is the same one mentioned on the burial register as buried 17 Dec 1762. However, other information indicate that Herbert children who lived to maturity were a Joanna, Martha, William, Jr. and Thomas. Above from "Early Adventures on the Western Waters," Vol III, by Mary B. Kegley pps. 273-274.
Notes compiled January, 1952 by Mary H. Blackman (now deceased), Rock Hill SC from S. W. Webb (or West?) "Families of Roanoke." Herbert data follows:
Our William Herbert came from Bristol, England. Sarah Fry, the daughter of Lord Fry of England, eloped with William Herbert and came to Virginia. They settled in Dinwiddie Co. They were married by the Captain of the ship on th high seas. (???) Their son, William, in later years settled in Wythe Co., Va. He was owner of what is known as the Lead Mines Estate. He was one of the largest onwers in that part of Virginia.
Polly, eldest daughter, married Col Richard Gentry, owner of "Old Fields" on New River in Ashe Co., NC.
David Sheffey went west and spent his days in gold regions of California.
Elijah was born in "lead Mines, Wythe Co., Va, March 1800. He married Winifred Alexander of NC. He later moved with his wife to what is now Clay Co., "Herbert's Bend". Elijah was the grandson of Lord Fry-Lady Sarah Humphries (nee Fry). Note that this information conflicts with marriage records at Bristol, England. Possibly it results from confusing the fact that Wm. Jr. married Polly Humphries (who may have bee referred to as Lady Humphries). Various person named Humphries appear on documents in V. and in NC related to the Herberts (or later Harberts).
A cousin, John C. Herbert was state senator from Clay Co., NC.
Robert Thornton Early of Hillsdale, Va. writes, "Johanna Herbert married John Early, Sr. & John Early was his (Robert Thornton Early's) grandfather. His father was Herbert Early.
Poplar Camp, at Hilldale, Virginia, was the home of William Herbert I. Captain Herbert's fine colonial record may be used for membership in Colonial Dames. Home place--Herbert's Bend NC, at the bend of the Hiwassey River. Large family--all educated.
More About William Herbert, Jr: Fact 1: 1765, Moved to south west VA.
More About William Herbert, Jr and Mary Elizabeth (Polly) Humphries: Marriage: 14 Aug 1785, Ashe (Allegeny), County ,NC.
Children of William Herbert, Jr and Mary Elizabeth (Polly) Humphries are: