Thanks to Lyndon Hart,III, Library of Virginia, for his gracious help to me with these families. I have the following family genealogies to post:
Pugh, Norfleet, Thompson,Urquhart,Griffin, Alston, Williams, Clark, Smallwood, Fenner, Nelson, Griffin, Whitmell, Harrell, Hill, Mears, Sargeant, Doggett
This site, FAMILY TREE MAKER, inexplicably no longer allows uploading/posting of recently acquired/updated information on the families. Their 'support' disappeared after June 2011. Therefore, I likely have more information on your family than you might find in the information below, even corrected information since 2011. If you would like any of the above family genealogies sent to you, (Urquhart book or any of the reports below, or any reports on the above named families), e-mail me and I will send you the most current information I have.
I do have ALL these family genealogies on the Rootsweb site (click on 3rd line of "RELATED LINKS" section below). Simply type in a name (surname,given) and you can view a pedigree/descendent tree (or the same info in a text format) or you can choose to view a descendent/ascendent chart. This site will not provide names of any living people, however.
Please advise me of any mistakes I have made in these genealogies. I will appreciate any additional information you might have to add to these families.
There is more information on some of these families on the "Historic Woodville" home page, shown below on the "RELATED LINKS" section.
- Thompson-Urquhart home in Woodville, NC (181 KB)
This Greek Revival home was built in 1840 for Lewis Thompson whose daughter married Burges Urquhart of Southampton County, Va.
- Kate Nelson Fenner Urquhart (36 KB)
- John Bennett Griffin and Sarah E. Bond Williams (1128 KB)
Originally from Martin Co., he became a prosperous planter, and moved to "Griffin's Quarters". Grandfather of C.B. Griffin.
- Strawberry Plains, Southampton Co., Virginia (363 KB)
Owned by Dr. Richard A. Urquhart and wife, Mary Rebecca Norfleet (Woodbourne, Roxobel, NC, whose son Burges m. Mary Bond Thompson. Strawberry Plains was a 4 story colonial style frame home with 19 rooms, reached through a mile long lane through a grove to a formal garden surrounded by a white picket fence. The gardens' beds and walks were bordered by boxwoods and had three terraces. Strawberry Plains was known for its lavish hospitality. Burned in the early 1900s.
- Richard Alexander Urquhart (9 KB)
University of North Carolina photograph, circa 1910
- Mary Bond Thompson Urquhart and grandchildren 1923 (973 KB)
MBTU was 77 when this was photographed in her front yard. Another grandchild, Cliff Whitehead, died in 1923 prior to this picture, and another, Emily Urquhart, born in 1933. Compare this picture to the "MBTU's grandchildren 1962" photograph
- 1941 Chauncey Olinger and Cora Blount Urquhart (532 KB)
shortly after their arrival in NYC
- William McKenzie Clark 1778-1836 (32 KB)
son of Colin Clark from Scotland, he married Martha Boddie Williams, his 1st cousin, and raised 9 children in Indian Woods. The oldest, Margaret A. Cathcart Clark m. Lewis Thompson, lived in Woodville.
- Mary B. Thompson Urquhart's grandchildren 1962 (624 KB)
1962 reunion, Woodville, NC. Standing L>R Lewis (Jr.) Thompson, Kate Urquhart, Margaret Griffin,Joe Whitehead, Burgess Whitehead, Mary Bond Griffin Jackson, Charlie Griffin, Lewis Whitehead, Billy Thompson (cousin) Tommy Griffin,Richard Urquhart. Seated L>R Tom Urquhart,Emily Urquhart Ayscue, Burges Urquhart, Bill Urquhart
- Richard A. Urquhart, Jr. 1930 (2501 KB)
Richard A. Urquhart wrote this poem about SUE, his prized shotgun, and gave the poem to his son, Richard A. Urquhart, Jr. on his 12th birthday, in 1930. The picture is of RAU, Jr.
- Mary Bond Thompson and 2 Griffin grandchildren (609 KB)
Circa 1928 photo taken with grandchildren Thomas and Margaret Griffin
- Mary Bond Thompson as a young girl (1401 KB)
daughter of Lewis Thompson and Margaret Ann Cathcart Clark, she married Burges Urquhart in 1871 and raised 7 children in Woodville
- James Burwell Urquhart (1854-1919) (786 KB)
James Burwell Urquhart - photo taken ~ 1892
- Kate Nelson Fenner (222 KB)
1890-1856, married Richard A. Urquhart, lived in Woodville
- Mary Bond Thompson and Burges Urquhart (36 KB)
married 1871 Grace Episcopal Church, Woodville, NC
- John Urquhart (1773-1843) (165 KB)
wealthy planter, lived at Oak Grove Planatation, Southampton Co., Virginia. Married Nancy Willamson
- Charles Smallwood-Woodville physician and diarist (1339 KB)
lived 1828-1900, he married Harriett Joyner Clark, d/o Wm. McK. Clark. One of Smallwood's daughters, Mary Lockhart Smallwood, married Dr. John Sam Griffin.
- Thomas Whitmell Thompson and Helen McKenzie Clark (75 KB)
Son of Lewis Thompson and Margaret Ann Cathcart Clark, Thomas Thompson built home on Canady Hill in Woodville. He married his first cousin in 1871.
- Nancy Williamson (1773-1837) (212 KB)
married John Urquhart, lived at Oak Grove Plantation, Southampton Co., Virginia
- William (Bill) and Wilda Cummings Urquhart (19 KB)
photo taken 1944
- Margaret U. Griffin (505 KB)
Taken in front of the T.W. Griffin family home about 1935. Born in 1919, she is daughter of Thomas Whitmel Griffin and Margaret McKenzie Urquhart.
- Richard and Barbara Urquhart with children 1966 (33 KB)
Standing, L>R: Albert, Richard jr., Richard, Fenner, Tommy
Bottom: Patricia, Barbara, Andy, 'baby' Barbara
- Burges Urquhart and Margaret McKenzie Urquhart (767 KB)
Siblings, Burges was b. 1883; Margaret b. 1878 photo taken around 1900
- Kate Nelson Fenner (Urquhart) (6 KB)