HIRAM ANNIS (son of JOSEPH ANNIS and ANNA)1 was born 1824 in Clarendon, Orleans County, New York1, and died September 21, 1894 in Beechville, Allegan County, Michigan1. He married ELIZABETH J. KENDALL on November 18, 1844 in Trowbridge, Allegan County, Michigan1, daughter of JAMES KENDALL.
Notes for HIRAM ANNIS: [Brøderbund WFT Vol. 5, Ed. 1, Tree #0090, Date of Import: Sep 25, 1998]
Hiram arrived in Allegan county in 1836 with his widowed mother. He served as a constable for Trowbridge Township in the following years: 1848, 1851, 1853, 1854, 1855 and 1867.
From the "Indigent Soldiers' and Sailors Burial Report*Allegan County":
Hiram Annis died September 21, 1894 at Beechville. Burial took place on September 24, at Trowbridge. He was a Pvt. in Co. M of the 8th Michigan Cav. He lived with his son Hiram in Allegan. Owned a lot in Trowbridge where his wife is also buried.
From the "Michigan Pioneer & Historical" Collection Volume 27, page 290: "One of the first boats to navigate our beautiful Kalamazoo river was the "Pioneer," owned by Milo Winslow (who was drowned in Lake Michigan), and was built by Joseph Bush, a pioneer of Allegan. Captain James Fritz commanded this boat. Amos P. Bush and his brother, Horace, built two boats at Kalamazoo, the "Tip" in 1837-38, and the "Droop" in 1840-41. They were born shipbuilders, their father, Jonathan Bush and his brother, Moses, of Hartford, Conn., having served as shipbuilders for the government during the revolution, and having built the boats used by Washington to cross the Delaware, at Trenton, and U.S. ship, "Constitution," that served in the Tripoli war. Philo Van Keuren commanded the "Tip" and Jacob Semon and Gil Blas Wilcox, now of Trowbridge the "Droop." Alonzo Wilcox, Wm. A. Knapp, HIRAM ANNIS, Walter Billings, Jedothan Morse, Benjamin Dyer and Henry Allet could tell you all about the vicissitudes of river service on the Kalamazoo. The "Great Western" also was built in 1838, by Captain Zadoc Huggins, now living in Monterey, and the "C.C. Trowbridge" about the same time by Captain George S. Porter. These boats were built for carrying freight between Allegan and Neward (now Saugatuck). The down freight was principally flour manufactured in Kalamazoo and taken to Allegan by teams. The up freight was general merchandise. The round trip was made in three or four days. The boats carried a sail and a fair west wind to commence with would greatly facilitate the return trip. The had labor came in poling the boats and cargoes up the river. The poles used were from 16 to 20 feet long with a heavy steel pointed iron socket at the lower end weighing from 10 to 15 pounds.
From the "Pioneer and Historical Collections" Volume 3, page 279 & 280: "The settlement of Allegan began in 1834. In 1833 Elisha Ely of Rochester, N.Y., who was one of the first settlers of that city, prospected in this region and purchased land for a company call the Boston company, on the Kalamazoo river at the point of the site of the present village of Allegan. Among the members of the company were Sam. Hubbard, E. Monroe, and P. Cutler of Boston, and C.C. Trowbridge of Detroit. The company proposed to build mills on the river for manufacturing pine and other lumber, and to inaugurate as soon as possible all the kinds of business which should lay the foundations of a city which they fondly hoped to see rise in the valley and on the hills. The spot seemed favorable. It was on the border of a pine forest that stretched away to the west; in other directions were other kinds of valuable timber and good farming lands. Here was a good water power and a navigable river on which they could float their products to a great lake and to all the world to which it led out. In the spring of 1834 Mr. Ely came on from Rochester with a little company consisting of Leander S. Prouty, wife and year-and-a-half old boy Andy, J. Pomeroy who was to be foreman of the work to be undertaken, and J. Hoyt. Mr. Prouty tells of their having the usual experience pioneers had in those days in coming from Detroit to Kalamazoo, getting stuck now and then in the mud, and once or twice capsizing in it. Arrived at the port of Pine Creek, on the Kalamazoo, Mr. Ely bought lumber with which to build a shanty when they should arrive at their journey's end, and rafts were made of it upon which their goods were loaded. E. Sherwood piloted one of the rafts, but Mr. Prouty, having been a sailor on Lake Ontario, knowing the current of any river like a fish, and "born to command," as says, took the other raft, placed his family and goods on it, and refused to have any pilot but himself. At the mouth of Schnable brook Sherwood's raft ran aground, and some of the freight was shaken into the water, Mr. Prouty, by the exercise of his authority, compelling Pomeroy to hold on to a barrel of pork and save it as he valued his his. While the men were righting up the raft, Mrs. Prouty and her child went ashore, and some Indians meeting them and not knowing from whence they came, were astonished and imagined that some angels had come down. Arriving at the future home of Allegan, the party put up a shanty on the spot nearly opposity the present Chaffee house, Wallace Crittenden, who came with them from Pine creek, driving the first nail, and making the first echoes of the hammer in the woods. But they were not the first whites that camped on the spot. Lucius Barnes of Wayland, informed me that fifty-one years ago last February, while on his way from Rabbit river, where he was in the employ of the fur trader, L. Campau, to his father's house on Gull prairie, he camped one night on the spot where now stands the Allegan house. It was the 6th of June when the emigrants arrived. They immediately cleared an acre of land, borrowed a plow of Abijah Chichester of Otsego, not having yet fished up their own that went to the bottom of the river from the raft, and put in potatoes and the seeds of vegetables, from which they harvested a supply for winter. Mr. Prouty tells me that on the peninsula were elevations of ground that resembled garden vegetable beds, with large trees on them. In the course of the summer they put up two log houses, one near the Allegan house site for a boarding house, the other a few rods above for Mr. Prouty. They had to roll up the logs to their places with oxen. He and his wife had been engaged by Mr. Ely for one year, for work and keeping boarders, at the moderate price of $12.50 and $5 respectively, per month. Mr. Prouty proving to be a more natural man for foreman than Pomeroy, was given his place. They were in his employ fifteen months, and then moved on to their in Trowbridge, where they still reside. Alex. L. Ely, a son of E. Ely, came on in the fall. On the 17th of October was received another addition, in the birth of Jeanette E. Prouty. As there was no other family or woman in the little clearing, Mrs. Prouty was sojourning at the house of Eber Sherwood in Otsego at the time when the child was born. Mr. Ely afterward gave a lot of land to this little first white daughter of the Allegan wilderness, in honor of her being the first born. In the spring of 1835 Horace Wilson and wife came, also a Mr. Keep and wife, who kept the boarding house awhile, but did not become permanent settlers. Soon after came Joseph Fisk and wife, and during the year H. Sabin, Ira Chaffee, Elias Streeter with his boys, the present J.B., T.E., and A.L. Streeter, B. Eager, L. Fish, D. Doane Davis, P.N. Higinbotham, J. WEARE, Sen., John Askins, B. and J. Colburn, H. and E.D. Ely, W.C., W.B. and T.C. Jenner, G.H. and E.S. Baker, E. Parkhurst, N. Abbott, J.H. Swezey, E. Moody, A.W. Beals, W. Jones, Feek, A.S. and C. Weeks, Z.L. Griswold, J.W. Bond, J. Dawson, L. Huddleston. In this year was born the first boy, and second child of the settlement, Jos. Allegan Fisk, to Mr. and Mrs. Jos. Fisk. He received the last christian name at the request of Mr. Ely. The boy lived, however, not quite one year. In 1836, there were many arrivals, among whom the names of the following persons have been learned: J. Peabody, D.A. McMartin, O.D. Goodrich, A. Rossman, J.B. and L. Bailey, S. Marsh, D. Ammerman, W.A. Knapp, E. Loomis, John, S.F., F.J., A. and P.B. Littlejohn, Leech, J. Higgins, W. Porter, W. Finn, W. Field, John J. Jones, formerly postmaster, T., A. and N.B. West, P. Leonard, W.H. Brown, W. Allen, E.G. Bingham, M. Winslow, G. McCoy, H.K. Clarke, J.P. Austin, D. Emerson, E.C. Southworth, H. Bassitt, J. Stone, C. Field, A. Mann, L. Wilcox, E. and W.R. Dickinson, G. and C. Hollister, G. Kennard, H.H. and Z. Booth, P., W.S. and Dan D. Davis, J.R. Kellogg, H. Hoaxie, J.L. Shearer, D.B. Stout, B. Streeter, O. Fisk, H. ANNIS, B. Atkins, J. Torrey, A. Johannot, A. Fuller, J. Billings, J. Bush, C. Higinbotham, W. Pullen, E. Moody, J. Cook, Reynolds, G.Y. Warner, Ellis, C. and J.J. Miner, A. and P. Chaffee, T.M. Russell, G. Jewitt, G. Nelson. There were estimated to be 500 people in the town in November of this year." Note - on page 281 it says, "a considerable number of the earliest settlers were from Rochester, NY and vicinity". Also, in 1837 a J. WEARE is among the arrivals.
From Wills and Estates Records of Probate Court, Allegan County Michigan, File #1007 Hiram Annis of Trowbridge petitioned the court on June 23, 1873 that Hannibal Hart be appointed the guardian of his and his deceased wifes children. The children named were: Kenneth age 18, John 16, Albert 13, Adelia 12, Hiram 9, and Minnie 3. From the Indigent Soldier' & Sailors Burial Report for Allegan County, Michigan: "Hiram Annis died on September 21, 1894 at Beechville. Burial was September 24 at Trowbridge. He was a Pvt. in Co. M in the 8th Michigan Cav. The 8th Michigan Cavalry was mustered for duty on May 2, 1863 at Mt. Clemens. The regiment left the state in May of 1863 for Tenessee and was mustered out September 22, 1865 at Nashville. They returned to Jackson, Michigan on September28, 1865. He lived with his son Hiram in Allegan. Owned a burial lot in Trowbridge where his wife is also buried." In the 1870 Census of Allegan County, Trowbridge Township, the Hiram & Eliza Annis household included: Lewis 16, John 13, Henrietta 18, Albert 11, Adelia 9, Hiram Jr. 6, and Minnie C. 7 months.
More About HIRAM ANNIS: Burial: September 24, 1894, Trowbridge, Allegan County.1
More About HIRAM ANNIS and ELIZABETH J. KENDALL: Marriage: November 18, 1844, Trowbridge, Allegan County, Michigan.1
Children of HIRAM ANNIS and ELIZABETH J. KENDALL are:
+JOSEPH ALEXANDER ANNIS, b. November 03, 1846, Newark, Allegan, Michigan1, d. May 15, 1913, Mancelona Vill., Antrim County, Michigan1.