Johnny D. Walker of Nashville, Tennessee
Updated January 16, 2013
2718 Wellman Drive
Edit Your Page
Surnames of Interest
Welcome to my page of ancestral information. Paternal surnames of interest include: Walker, Anderson, Clark, Stagner, McFarland, Winders, Pillow and McFadden. Maternal surnames are: Smith, Blankenship, Segraves, Crabb, Gibson, Rainey, Waugh and Stacy. Other surnames further back in my ancestry were: Taylor, Mathis, Munden, Laws, Hogg, Barbee, Guess, Warren, Harrington, Curtis, Burton, Chappell, Bright, New, Berry, Patterson, Combs. I am twice descended from Martha Laws (1814-1879) as she was the great-grandmother of both of my maternal grandparents.
DNA testing is an exciting new area of interest to genealogists. See the link below for the Walker Surname DNA Project. My Walker line is in Group-2 at the DNA Project. I am number 742 and my father is sample 608. Our Walker line belongs to the Y-Chromosome Haplogroup I1. See the link below for information on Y-Chromosome Haplogroup I1.
Family tradition stated that Matthew W. Walker had some American Indian ancestry, probably on his maternal side. On my maternal side, Lemuel A. Smith was said to be of partial American Indian descent. Mary Munden McFadden is believed to have been of Cherokee descent. A surviving portrait of her (see photo below) shows some American Indian traits. However I have had the complete genome service done on myself at www.23andme.com. The results showed almost 99% European descent and zero Asian descent. None of the American Indian genes (if there were any) made it down to me. (American Indians are of Asian descent; people who have recent American Indian ancestry show partial Asian results in the chromosome painting at www.23andme.com.)
I have had the mtDNA test run on my own sample at familytreedna.com which revealed that I belong to Haplogroup-T (about 9% of Europeans). My maternal aunt's sample matched exactly on the mtDNA test. The earliest I know about my maternal (umbilical) line is Mary L. Harrington who was born about 1825 in Tennessee and who married James Stacy in 1842 in Johnson Co., Illinois. See the link below for the article on mtDNA Haplogroup-T.
I welcome all additions and corrections to the information found in the reports below.
- Julia (Clark) Walker, 1866-1936 (196 KB)
Julia Belle Clark, wife of Matthew W. Walker, daughter of John Green Clark & Mary Ann Stagner.
- Susan McFadden Pillow (1840-1907) (194 KB)
Susan McFadden, daughter of James McFadden, was born in Henry County, Tennessee. She married Benjamin Franklin Pillow in 1861. She died in 1907 and was buried in Antioch Baptist Cemetery in Henry County, Tennessee.
- Chesley and Lennie (Smith) Walker and son, Johnny (175 KB)
Chesley Dare Walker and wife Lennie Lee Smith and son Johnny Dale Walker, Circa 1957.
- Edward N. McFarland & Alice (Pillow) McFarland (149 KB)
Maternal grandparents of Chesley D. Walker. Edward Newton McFarland (1867-1937) & Mary Alice Pillow (1868-1957) of Henry Co., Tennessee.
- George Washington Walker (1799-1864) (201 KB)
George W. Walker was born in Cumberland Co., Virginia and died in Henry Co., Tennessee. He was a son of Warren and Sarah Walker.
- Mary (Hogg) Crabb & Hilliard Crabb (245 KB)
Parents of Susan (Crabb) Segraves. Mary was born circa 1818; Hilliard was born circa 1816.
- Lennie Smith Walker & baby Johnny in 1953 (52 KB)
Lennie Smith Walker, wife of Chesley D. Walker, holding Johnny in 1953.
- Andrew J. McFarland & Martha (Winders) McFarland (209 KB)
Portrait was badly water-damaged in the early 1970's. A. J. McFarland (1818-1895) & Martha Winders (1826-1900) of Henry Co., Tennessee.
- Mildred Ann Anderson (1829-1904) (139 KB)
Wife of George W. Walker. Taken from an original ambrotype. Circa 1858.
- Dewey & Sudie Walker Family, 1952 (105 KB)
Leslie Walker, Dewey Walker, Sudie (McFarland) Walker, Alice (Pillow) McFarland, Chesley Walker; taken in Fall, 1952 at Granny McFarland's house on old Paris-Murray road, Henry Co., Tennessee.
- Children of Porter Gibson & Jane Rainey Gibson (83 KB)
This list of the children of Porter Gibson & Sarah Jane Rainey Gibson of Carroll Co., Tennessee was written by A.A. Gibson and dated Feb. 15, 1887.
- Chesley & Lennie (Smith) Walker in 1991 (66 KB)
Photo made in Paris, Tennessee in 1991 after Lennie had just turned 70 years old.
- Andrew J. McFarland & Martha (Winders) McFarland (215 KB)
This is from an old tintype of Andrew Jackson McFarland (1818-1895) and his wife Martha (Winders) McFarland (1826-1900) and may be the source photograph for the portrait which was later badly water-damaged.
- Moses Segraves (1832-1910) (45 KB)
Moses Segraves was born in Wilkes Co., North Carolina and died near Wildersville, Henderson Co., Tennessee, a son of Sherrod and Martha (Laws) Segraves.
- Lemuel A. Smith Family in 1906 (111 KB)
Felix, Leavie, Lovie, Virdie; Bertha, Lem (with Cecil on lap), Camilia (with Walter on lap).
- Mildred (Anderson) Walker, 1829-1904 (234 KB)
Mildred Ann Anderson, wife of George W. Walker, daughter of Matthew Anderson & Sarah (Taylor) Anderson; made Circa 1900.
- Andrew Jackson McFarland (1818-1895) (191 KB)
This is from an old tintype believed to be of Andrew Jackson McFarland (1818-1895). He was a son of William McFarland & Nancy (Winders) McFarland.
- Lemuel A. Smith (1860-1927) (166 KB)
This is a copy from a tintype believed to have been made about 1880. Lemuel A. Smith was born in Henderson Co., Tennessee.
- Irvin C. Gibson and Mary Eliza (Waugh) Gibson (106 KB)
Here are the parents of Irva Lavinia (Gibson) Smith: Irvin Columbus Gibson (1867-1896) and Mary Eliza (Waugh) Gibson (1869-1943).
- Benjamin Franklin Pillow (1829-1911) (38 KB)
B.F. (Dock) Pillow was born in Giles Co., Tennessee and died in Henry Co., Tennessee. He is buried at the old Antioch Primitive Baptist Cemetery in Henry Co., Tennessee.
- Dewey Walker & Grandson, Johnny, Circa 1956 (166 KB)
Dewey Walker (1899-1982) & Johnny Dale Walker; made Circa 1956.
- Martha Winders McFarland (1826-1900) (213 KB)
This is from an old tintype believed to be of Martha Winders, wife of Andrew Jackson McFarland. She was a daughter of Tabitha Winders of Todd County, Kentucky.
- Columbus Gibson, Frances Cary, Anna Pinkley, 1919 (197 KB)
This photo dates from about 1919. Columbus Gibson is standing next to his sister Frances Cary. Their sister, Anna Pinkley, is holding her daughter Ruby in her lap. The other little girl is Susie Lee Pinkley.
- McFarland Bible 1818 -- Births, p. 678 (421 KB)
Fragment of birth records from the 1818 Family Bible of William and Nancy (Winders) McFarland of Henry Co., Tennessee.
- Chesley D. Walker during World War II (40 KB)
Chesley D. Walker served in the U.S. Navy from Sept. 27, 1943 until Jan. 7, 1946 on the USS Gamble & Monadnock and participated in the Battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa.
- William Washington Smith (1809-1881) (43 KB)
William W. Smith was born in Virginia and died in Henderson Co., Tennessee. He had the nickname "Choctaw Bill" and is believed to have had some American Indian ancestry.
- McFarland Bible 1818 -- Births & Deaths, p. 679 (422 KB)
Fragment of birth and death records from the 1818 Family Bible of William and Nancy (Winders) McFarland of Henry Co., Tennessee.
- James & Mary (Munden) McFadden (107 KB)
A portrait made about 1860 of James McFadden (1799-1878) and his wife of Cherokee descent, Mary Munden McFadden (1815-1866).
- Ervie Gibson Smith & Felix Smith, 1963 (82 KB)
Irva Lavinia (Ervie) Gibson Smith and Felix Smith in 1963.
- McFadden Family Circa 1897 (171 KB)
Bill Sturdivant & wife Laura; Perry McFadden & daughter Mary; B.F. Pillow & wife Susan; Samuel McFadden & wife Tennessee; William McFadden & wife Clem; all of Henry County, Tennessee.
- Felix Smith Family, Carroll Lake, 1963 (79 KB)
Back row: Ellie, Lennie, Felix, Ervie, Mary, Lorene; Front row: Martha, Addie, Lavada, Laverne
- McFarland Bible 1818 -- Deaths, p. 680 (427 KB)
Fragment of death records from McFarland family Bible published in Philadelphia in 1818 by M. Carey & Son.
- Susan Crabb Segraves 1834-1898 (69 KB)
Susan Crabb Segraves, mother of Nancy Camilia Segraves Smith.
- Clark Family of Trigg Co., Ky. & Henry Co., Tenn. (2715 KB)
This listing shows all the known descendants of William Clark who married Sophia W. Dawson in 1820 in Trigg Co., Kentucky. Their son, John Green Clark, moved to Henry Co., Tenn. before 1850.
- Pillow Family of Virginia and Tennessee (3133 KB)
This listing shows descendants of Jasper Pillow of Amelia Co., Virginia. His son, William, went to Maury Co., Tennessee. William's grandson, Joseph B. Pillow, settled in Henry Co., Tennessee.
- Stagner Families of Tennessee (3670 KB)
This file lists Stagner descendants from area of Montgomery Co., Tenn., Stewart Co., Tenn., Benton Co., Tenn., and Henry Co., Tennessee.
- Ancestors of Lennie Lee Smith (1921-2001) (178 KB)
This file lists the known ancestors of Lennie Lee Smith Walker, mother of Johnny D. Walker.
- Descendants of John McFarland (1760-1815) (1627 KB)
This listing shows the known descendants of John McFarland who died in 1815 in Christian Co., Kentucky. The majority of the data is the family of his son William (1783-1860) of Henry Co., Tennessee.
- Crabb Family of Benton Co., Tennessee (1488 KB)
This file lists descendants of the Crabb family of Benton Co., Tennessee probably originating from Hillery Crabb of North Carolina.
- Descendants of William Walker (d. 1752) (3830 KB)
This file lists descendants of William Walker who died in 1752 in Cumberland Co., Virginia.
- Descendants of William W. Smith (1809-1881) (1786 KB)
This file lists descendants of William Washington Smith who died 01 Dec 1881 in Henderson Co., Tennessee.
- McFadden Family of Henry Co., Tennessee (2788 KB)
This file lists all the known McFadden descendants concentrating on the descendants of James McFadden (1799-1878) of Henry Co., Tennessee.
- Descendants of Jordan Gibson of Sumner Co., Tenn. (1761 KB)
This file shows six generations of the descendants of Jordan Gibson who was killed by the Indians in 1788 in Sumner County in what is today Tennessee. Emphasis is on his son Roger Gibson who was still alive in 1854 in Carroll County, Tennessee.
- Ahnentafel of Chesley Dare Walker (316 KB)
This file lists all the ancestors of Chesley Dare Walker (born 1924) of Paris, Henry Co., Tennessee.
- Moses Segraves 1878 Southern Claims Commission (182 KB)
This file is a transcription of the claim of Moses Segraves for property lost to the U.S. Army during the Civil War.