Starting Sept. 5, 2014, Genealogy.com will be making a big change. GenForum message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles will be preserved in a read-only format, while several other features will no longer be available, including member subscriptions and the Shop.
 
Learn more


[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]

Descendants of EDWARD BENNETT

Generation No. 6


42. DAVID6 BENNETT (EPHRIAM SR.5, SAMUEL4, SAMUEL3, SAMUEL2, EDWARD1)

Notes for DAVID BENNETT:
From the book "The other Bennetts" by Isabel (Bennett) Ridell:

DAVID BENNETT removed to Howard, Stueben County, New York. he became the father of Daniel Bennett, who had twenty three children, one of whom, Benjamin Bennett, is father to Fred Bennett Esq., of Joliet, Ill., Colonel commanding the crack regiment of the national guard of that state, the third which saw service in the Spanish war going from Chickamauga, (when lieutenent Bennett met him) to Porto Rico, taking part in that short but lively campaign. Colonel Bennett is a western military authority, and an attorney having a large clientel at joliet.
     
Child of DAVID BENNETT is:
67. i.   DANIEL7 BENNETT.


43. EPHRIAM6 BENNETT (EPHRIAM SR.5, SAMUEL4, SAMUEL3, SAMUEL2, EDWARD1) was born 01 May 1762 in Rhode Island, and died 26 Oct 1843 in Dix, Shuyler County, New York (at Sons Home). He married HANNAH BENTLEY 07 Feb 1781 in Goshen, New York. She was born 11 Jan 1765 in Rhode Island, and died 01 Mar 1840 in Tioga County, Pennsyvania (burried at Montour Falls, New York).

Notes for EPHRIAM BENNETT:
1. From the book "The other Bennetts" by Isabel (Bennett) Ridell:

A tradition has it that Ephraim jr. got his black eyes from being French. As at an early date there was at least one French colony in Rhode Island which Samuel Bennett befriended, it is possible that there may have been intermarrages. It is but fair to say, however, that later Bennett was charged with double dealing, in that he obtained some lands occupied by the colonists and as they charged, much to their injury.
In passing, I would like to note that the Bennetts were men of short stature, usually dark complexion, dark eyes and hair. Few military descriptive lists are preserved. I find but three soldiers decribed; their height being five, seven and nine inches more than five feet.
Ephraim removed from Wellsburg about 1805. Green Bently being born there in 1791, has told the writer that to see lebbens Hammonds, who escaped Queen Esther at Bloody rock, at his father's house was a frequent occurrence.
Research in the old Tioga county records shows a deed made 1802, by Charles Wilkes and Lewis Simond, by their attorney, Robert Johnson, of new York, city, to Ephraim Bennett, of Catharinestown, Tioga county, N.Y., conveying eighty-one and one-half acres of land in southwest quarter of township no. 3, situate on the road leading from the Seneca lake to Newtown or Elmira. This was unquestionably the Millport property where he built a saw mill. Here his family grew up, were married, going out to homes of their own, but frequently returning to the paternal roof.
The author's father (a Bennett) had often pictured the scene about the great open fire-place of a winter night, when the old men alternately awed and thrilled the young people by tales of the times that "tried men's souls." At their social entertainments dancing began mid-afternoon and continued until the following morning, when tired by happy, young and old wended homeward, some on sleds drawn by oxen, the better cicumstanced upon horseback with their ladies snugly bestowed behind them on a "pillion" ( a stuffed blanket) attached to the sadle. They could dance - when nearly sixty years old. Col. Green could cut the pigeon wing with skill and lightly as a boy.
Ephraim was out much with surveyors who established land lines for the great proprietors who had obtained large tracts by patents from the government. When so engaged, where the city of Corning now is, he was offered as much land on the opposite flats above Gibson as he wanted for two cows. He used to tell this story with a smile, and explained that the cows were esteemed of more value than all the flat land there, covered as it was with stunted pines and subject to yearly overflow.
From Millport he removed to the town of Dix, where he owned and occupied a farm adjoining his son's which, in later years, we called the "lower place." there was included a grist mill upon Bower's creek, passing through the farm. The mill was abandoned long since, like many works of men's hands, having outlived it's usefulness. The little stream which turned its great wheel being the work of the Creator still enriches the landscape, and its falls, "Montour," furnishes one of the attractions of the lake country.

Born 1 May 1762, Rhode Island - to Wellsburg, NY, to Catherinestown, NY
Died 26 October 1843, Dix, Schulyer Co., NY at home of Son Col. Greene Bentley Bennett, after wife died, both buried at Montour Falls, NY
Married 7 February 1781, at Goshen, NY Hannah Bentley, daughter of Greene M. Bentley (16 years old), She was born 11 January 1765 and Died at Tioga Co., PA; buried Montour Falls, NY.

2. The following is information received from the Orange County Genealogical Society, 101 Main Street, Goshen, N.Y. 10924. Received 17 September 1996:
Genealogical and Family Histories of THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS PENNSYLVANIA:

EPHRAIM BENNETT, son of Ephraim Bennett and his wife Mary Stafford, was born in Rhode Island in 1762, and died in 1843 at Watkins Glen, New York. His wife was Hannah Bentley, born in Rhode Island, 1759, died 1839.
Ephraim and Hannah (Bentley) Bennett had eleven children, six sons and five daughters. Ephraim was a private in Colonel Hathorne's Regiment under Captain David McCambly; and at least three of his brothers, James, Abraham and Thaddeus were members of the command in which their father was sergeant. Ephraim Bennett located at the head of Seneca Lake. His fourth child, Colonel Green Bentley Bennett, was born near Elmira, New York, November 27, 1797, died 1878. He removed with his father to Catherinestown, now Havana, Schuyler county, where his young life was spent.

Notes for HANNAH BENTLEY:
1. The following is information received from the Orange County Genealogical Society, 101 Main Street, Goshen, N.Y. 10924. Received 17 September 1996:
Genealogical and Family Histories of THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS PENNSYLVANIA:

HANNAH BENTLEY, born in Rhode Island, 1759, died 1839. The Bennett and Bentley families appear to have been intimately associated from an early date. They left Kingstown, Rhode Island, together previous to the Revolution, remained in Orange county, New York, during the war, and afterward removed in company to the Wyoming regions of Pennsylvania, probably in 1782. In 1789 they went up the Susquehanna and settled between Athens, Pennsylvania, and Elmira, New York, near where Bentley creek, named for the Bentleys, emptys into the Susquehanna. Here the pioneer heads of the families lived many years, and from here their children and descendants went forth into the activities of business life and settled themselves in various sections of the land. The Bentleys were conspicuous figures in American history during the colonial period and the Revolution. The American ancestor of the familly was William Bentley, who sailed from London fo New England, September 19, 1635. His English ancestors were superior men in all ways. Military records show that fourteen Bentleys, all of this family, served in New York state during the revolution and they were conspicuous for bravery and daring. William Bentley, the immigrant, had a son William, who had a son William, of Stonington, Connecticut. He married Mary Elliot. Their son, Green M. Bentley, was one of the famous men of his time and of his family. He served through the French and Indian wars and also in the Revolution, and the old Tioga county (New York) town was named "Veteran" in allusion to his long and loyal military service. He was the maternal great grandfather of Stephen Beers Bennett, of Pittston, Pennsylvania.


     
Children of EPHRIAM BENNETT and HANNAH BENTLEY are:
68. i.   SAMUEL7 BENNETT, b. 27 Nov 1781, Goshen, Orange County, New York.
  ii.   THOMAS STRAIT BENNETT, b. 03 Aug 1783.
69. iii.   SUSANNAH BENNETT, b. 11 Sep 1785.
  iv.   PEGGY BENNETT, b. 15 Dec 1787; m. (1) BRANT CATLIN; m. (2) CHARLES CURTIS.
  v.   ELIZABETH BENNETT, b. 04 Nov 1789; m. THOMAS MILLS.
  vi.   POLLY BENNETT, b. 15 Dec 1791; d. 1794.
  vii.   ABNER KNOX BENNETT, b. 11 Jan 1793; m. SARAH LATTIN.
  viii.   SALLY BENNETT, b. 27 Nov 1795.
70. ix.   COL. GREEN BENTLEY BENNETT, b. 27 Nov 1797, Wellsburg, Elmira New York; d. 1878.
  x.   MILLY BENNETT, b. 28 Feb 1801; m. JAMES PARKS.
  xi.   HARRY BENNETT, b. 07 Sep 1802; m. MARRY MCCLURE.
  xii.   BRANT BENNETT, b. 28 Aug 1805; d. 20 Apr 1807.
  xiii.   CHARLES M. BENNETT, b. 11 May 1807; m. LOUISA CANFIELD.


44. THADDEUS6 BENNETT (EPHRIAM SR.5, SAMUEL4, SAMUEL3, SAMUEL2, EDWARD1) was born 09 May 1760 in Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island ?, and died 08 Jan 1834 in Harrisonville (now Minford) Harrison twp., Scioto County, Ohio. He married (1) ELIZABETH B. MEADE. She died 07 May 1826. He married (2) SHEBA EUNICE BENTLEY 10 Sep 1780 in Goshen, Orange County, New York, daughter of GREENE BENTLEY and DIANA STRAIT. She was born 19 Jan 1762 in Kent, Litchfield County, Connecticut, and died 31 Dec 1799 in Chemung, Chemung County, New York. He married (3) RACHAEL CHANEY 17 Aug 1828.

Notes for THADDEUS BENNETT:
THADDEUS BENNETT AND FAMILY

Among the family names connected with the early history of both northern Kentucky and southern Ohio is that of the Bennett Family. Thadeus Bennett was a revolutionary soldier and served with the New York Militia in 1777. he married Eunice Bently and, with his wife and seven children, he left New York, about 1818 on a raft which he had built at Olean, New York, and floated down the Allegheny and Ohio Rivers, landing near the mouth of the Little Scioto River in Ohio. They located near Stockdale in Scioto county, and later moved to the present site of Harrisonville, Ohio. Two more children were born in Ohio, making a family of nine in all. A widowed daughter, Sallie Bennett Fenton, with four small children, came with the family from New York, and one of her daughters, Elizabeth, later married Jefferson Kendall, a son of William and Rachel Brown Kendall, of Scioto County.
There is conflicting reports here, one says they came to Ohio around 1816 (1) and the other says in 1818.(2) His birth date and death date on file are from his tomb. The following are accounts found in various history books, as noted.

Account from Early Families of Eastern & Southeastern Kentucky; Thaddeus was a progenitor of the Bennett Family of Greenup County, Kentucky. He was of Scotch-Irish extraction and an original native of Virginia. When a child, he was taken by his parents to a farm on the Genesee River in New York where he was reared. At the age of 16, he enlisted in the Continental Army and had service in the Revolutionary War. In 1818 (2), he migrated with his family to Scioto County, Ohio where he lived until his death at the age of 74 yrs.
     
There is a biography written in the "Pioneers of Scioto County, Ohio", which gives the names of his 9 children by his first wife and the names of the next 5 by his second wife. It gives the account of his travel down the Ohio to the mouth of the Little Scioto. From here, he moved on the farm where James Meade lived aand died, formerly called the Harvey Taylor farm. He lived there 1 or 2 yrs. when he purchased a large body of land about six miles above the present site of Harrisonville, and about 2 miles below the Pike Co. line, where California is now situated. He settled here permanently and
nearly all his children had come from N.Y. with him and settled in the neighborhood. The place takes its name, Bennett's Settlement from him and continues to be known by that name. He lived there until about 1828 or 1829, when his wife died and he married a widow by the name of Chaney. She owned a small farm near the mouth of the Little Scioto and lived on said farm. The farm is known by the name of the Jack Stockham farm. He is buried in the burying ground on said farm. Thaddeus was a Republican, when the parties were known as Republicans and Federals. After the Republican party went out of existance, he was a Whig. He was a minister of the gospel for 50 yrs. before his death, being a regularly ordained Baptist. [copies of these on file.]

      Children of Thaddeus Bennett and Sheba Eunice Bentley are:
      i. JOSEPH2 BENNETT, b. 1794, Chemung Co., New York; d. April 30,1868, Greenup, Ky..
      ii.SARAH/SALLIE BENNETT.
      iii.THADDEUS BENNETT, JR..
      iv.BENJAMIN BENNETT.
      v.GAHIEL BENNETT.
      vi.MARY BENNETT, m. NATHANIEL SQUIRES.
      vii.RHODA BENNETT, m. WILLIAM CRAWFORD.
      viii.HETTIE BENNETT, m. DANIEL DODGE.
      ix.EUNICE BENNETT, m. ELIJAH GASTON.

      Children of Thaddeus Bennett and widow Meade are:
      x.IRA2 BENNETT.
      xi.JESSE BENNETT.
      xii.THOMAS BENNETT.
      xiii.ELIZABETH ANN BENNETT, m. WALTER LINDSEY.
      xiv.CATHERINE BENNETT, m. JOHN TOLBERT. (3)

Life in New York prior to coming to Ohio:

BATTLE OF MINISINK

The battle, or rather slaughter, of Minisink took place July 22, 1779, beginning middle of the forenoon, lasting until nightfall giving the few continentals left an opportunity of escape. Col. Durston had called out the local militia; later was reinforced by Col. Hawthorne, his senior in command.
They followed the indians to near the mouth of the Lackawaxen; were ambushed by the wily Brant. It is said that this battle made thirty widows in the town of Goshen alone. In 1822, the bones of the slain, which had lain bleaching upon the barren hills for more than forty years, were gathered and entombed under a suitable monument, which dedicated, now stands at Goshen to mark the event. Lossing says, "General Hathorne, being eighty years old, made a short but feeling address." Upon the face of the stone is the name of Benjamin Bennett, with forty others, all apparently of Yankee lineage. This Bennett's name appears on the roster of Captain Hadlock, under Col. Yates; also, VanRensalaer. (4)

*My personal observations: Thaddeus at this time was a private under Col. Hawthorn and Capt. McCalmly, which places him in the area at time of this battle along with Ephraim Bennett sr. and jr, James, Jeramiah Thomas and Abraham Bennetts.

Washington's headquarters were located within Orange County New Yok parts of 1780. 81, 82, and most of 1783, in which year the Continental Army was disbanded, it's members returning destitute to their wasted homes and scattered families. The locality having been at times the chief cantonment of the American army is a conspicuous point in the history of the war. It is indeed a high honor to know that our ancestors aided Washington in his great work even in an humble way and that perhaps they knew him personally, that at least he was to them a well-known and commanding figure.

Thaddeus about AD 1800, paid taxes in territory of Chemung county, as did Abraham at Big Flats. (5)


SCHUYLER COUNTY NEW YORK
Chapter LXXV, Early Settlement and Organization of Schuyler County

The first Settlements. Less than one brief century ago, but a faint wave of civilization had broken upon the primeval forest embraced within the present territorial limits of Schuyler County. Only was heard the fierce howl of the wolf and the savage sa-sa-quan of the Indian Warrior. The circling smoke arose from many an Indian wigwam; the hunter bounded through the forest after the deer and moose; beavers, otters, and martens were in abundance; the salmon smoked at every camp-fire; the waters of the blue Seneca were parted by the birchen canoe, and the dripping oar of the Indian glissened in the sunlight. Here was the red man in all his glory. This was a portion of the Indian Eden, and as far as his unsophisticated vision extended, destined to remain.
The causes which led to the invasion of General Sullivan, and an account of that memorable campaign, as connected with this county, will be found in the general history Chapter III.
Sufficient to say that the penalty inflicted upon the Cayugas and Senecas by Sullivan was severe, but served well the purpose for which it was intended. It ended the border wars, and the Indians never again attempted a reoccupation of the country. They returned only as erratic bands to attend treaties.
The smoke from the burning villages that marked Sullivan's course of devastation and ruin had scarcely cleared away ere the white settler might have been seen threading his way into the wilderness, anxious to rear his home in the fertile land of the Senecas.
The first settlement in the town of Montour was effected within the present corporate limits of the village of Havana, in 1788, by Silas Wolcott and a Mr. Wilson. One George Mills had previously passed through the town, but not located until 1790.
The first settlement in Tyrone was made in 1798 by Joshua and Elisha Wixon, who located on the flat near the inlet of Lake Lomoka. They however, remained by a short time in consequence of their title being defective. The permanent settlers located in 1800. These were Gersham, Justus, and Thadeus Bennett, brothers, and Abram and Justus Jr., Sons of Justus, who settled between the two lakes, on the site of the village of Weston. They were the first to make any improvements and cultivate farms. (For detailed history of early settlements, see town histories.) (6)

DEMOGRAPHY
Demography; Lake Wanetta or Little Lake, upon the west border, is about three miles long and one-half miles wide, and Lake Lamoka or Mud Lake, in the southwest corner, is about two miles long and three-quarters mile wide. These little lakes lie in deep valleys, and are bordered by steep hills, in some places precilpitous, which rise from three to four hundred feet above the surface of their placid waters. A view of this valley, the lakes, and their surroundings, from the top of the high ridge south of Tyrone village, presents a picture of rare beauty. (7)

THE EARLY SETTLEMENT
The pioneers of Tyrone were encompassed by all the trials, dangers, and privations common to all early settlers in new settlements in this part of the State at the beginning of the present century. Mills, Mail facilities, friends, and all the comforts of civilization which surrounded them in New England, Eastern New York, and New Jersey, were left scores of miles behind them. Many weary miles, through trackless forests, were to be traversed before reaching their homes in the howling wilderness.
About 1800, Gersham, Justus, and Thadeus Bennett, brothers, and Abram and Justus Jr. , sons of Justus, from Orange Co., N.Y., came here and settled on both sides of the creek, between the two lakes. They took up a large tract of land, some 800 acres, which included the site of Weston village. They were the first to make any permanent improvement and open cultivated farms. They brought in horses, farming implements, etc. Their families remained here until about 1835, when they all removed to Michigan. Abram lived to be over one hundred years of age; his brother Justus is still living there, aged about ninety years. (7)

According to the DAR Patriot Records held by the National Bureau of Archives in Washington DC for Revolutionary soldiers: THADDEUS BENNETT was born in 1764, died in 1834 and married three times 1. Eunice Bentley, 2. unknown, 3. Mrs Meade. Private NY (Possible 2nd wife was a widow by the name of Channey)

1. In August 1996, I requested a copy of Pension records for Thaddeus Bennett from the Revolutionary war from the National Achives at Washington D.C.
2. In September recieved a reply from the National Bureau of Archives stating that a pension request or information about a pension for Thaddeus Bennett was not on file.

FamilyFinder Index
Individual      CD Description      CD #311
Bennett, Thadeus      Census Index, United States Selected Counties, 1790     
Census Index: U.S. Selected Counties, 1790
     
Bennett, Thadeus      State : CT
      County : Fairfield Co.
      Location : Weston
      Year : 1790
      Page # : 237
Census Index: U.S. Selected Counties, 1810
     
Bennett, Thaddeas      State : CT
      County : Fairfield Co.
      Location : Weston
      Year : 1810
      Page # : 112
Bennett, Thaddeus      State : NY
      County : Cayuga Co.
      Year : 1810
      Page # : 087
      Age ranges in household : 10100-00100

Bennett, Thadeus      Census Index, United States Selected Counties, 1820 CD 314
Census Index: U.S. Selected Counties, 1820
     
Bennett, Thadeus      State : OH
      County : Scioto Co.
      Location : Porter Twp
      Year : 1820
      Page # : 125 (8)

Life in Ohio:
The History of Harrison Township, Scioto County, Ohio
FIRST SETTLERS IN THE AREA
The first two families to live in the area were Rev. Thaddeus Bennett and family, and his son, Rev. Joseph Bennett and family. Thaddeus Bennett and his son, Joseph Bennett, lived in New York in the early 1800's.
Thaddeus Bennett was a veteran of the Revolutionary War. Joseph Bennett was a veteran of the War of 1812. (1) Around 1814, the two men decided they wanted a different life in the Northwest Territory. Thaddeus, age 56, and Joseph, age 22, built a raft, and set out on the Olean River to begin their new life. They headed toward the Allegheny River. Continuing south, the men finally reached the Ohio River. The Bennett families continued down the Ohio River until they arrived at the mouth of the Little Scioto River. They settled in the area we now know as Sciotoville. The area was heavily timbered and quite swampy at the time. The men were also aware that Shawnee Indians lived in the area, but they decided they would face the rigors of the frontier and build a cabin for their families. After a short time, the swampy area proved to be too much for the families to face. Insects and the rising river won, and the families decided to seek higher ground. After all, they had their choice of any land in the vast wilderness. (9) The Bennetts found higher ground in the area we now know as Minford.
Another of Thaddeus' sons, Benjamin Bentley Bennett, began his journey to Ohio in 1817. Benjamin had served in the War of 1812 as a private. He was honorably discharged at Ft. George, Upper Canada, on December 19 or 20, 1813. Benjamin, age 29, gathered his family, and traveled by covered wagon to the head of the Alleghany River. Once there, he sawed lumber and built cabins on rafts so his family would have a warm place to stay during the winter months. In the spring of 1818, the family continued their journey to Ohio. Benjamin and his family arrived at the mouth of the Little Scioto River on April 27, 1818.
According to U.S. Military Land Records, on June 4, 1819, Thaddeus, Joseph, and Benjamin Bentley Bennett claimed 640 acres of land in the area we now know as Minford. The records can be located in Volume 2 of the Tract Book and Entries -Congress Lands- 22 Ranges & U.S. Military Lands, Auditor of the State of Ohio. The acreage was divided as follows:
Thaddeus Bennett - Range 20, Township 4, Section 8, Part of Section:
South Half, 320 acres.

Joseph Bennett - Range 20, Township 4, Section 8, Part of Section:
Northwest Quarter, 160 acres.

Benjamin B. Bennett - Range 20, Township 4, Section 8, Part of Section:
Northeast Quarter, 160 acres. The record states that at the time of sale
Benjamin B. Bennett was a resident of Pike County.

Around 1820, the families built an 8-room double log house with a covered opening between. According to written historical records left by Henry Clay Lantz (grandson of Joseph Bennett), the cabin stood on the east side of the road just south of what is now Minford. Mr. Lantz recalled visiting the cabin when he was a boy. Mr. Lantz's records state that the cabin was torn down by John Violet, Sr. in 1875. (10)


OTHER SETTLERS JOIN THE BENNETTS

Other families began arriving in the area, and it was decided that the area should become a separate township as part of Scioto County. The new township needed a name. Joseph Bennett suggested that the township be named after his friend, General William Henry Harrison. General Harrison and Joseph Bennett became acquainted when they served together in the War of 1812. General Harrison often stayed with the Bennett families while visiting the area.

In 1823 the first business came to the area. Peter Laforgy started a blacksmith shop. Later, the village boasted of its three general stores, a blacksmith shop, a funeral home, a harness shop, and an apiary (a place where bees are kept). The first post office in the area was called Rockwells. It was run by Ephriam Rockwell. The Rockwell post office was in operation from December 28, 1825 to August 12, 1828 when its name was changed to the Scioto post office. Click here to see the history of the post offices in the area. (At one time, the township had three post offices.)


HARRISON TOWNSHIP IS FORMED

At a meeting of the Scioto County Commissioners, Harrison Township was created on March 6, 1832. (11) The township was formed from Union and Upper Townships in Scioto County.

The first township election was held at the home of Daniel White on the first Monday of May, 1832. The first township officers were: Abner Wood, Treasurer; Abijah Batterson, Clerk; Thomas Hatch, Daniel White and Sylvanus Shumway, trustees; George Scott and R.T. Collins, Constables; T.R. Wood and Luther Wheeler, Justices. (9)


THADDEUS BENNETT PASSES AWAY

On February 9, 1834, just two years after Harrison Township was formed, Thaddeus Bennett died. He was buried "on the old Ketter place between Sciotoville and Swicker Hill Road." (5) In 1926, the Bennett heirs had his remains moved to the old family burial lot in Minford. There is a discrepancy on the dates for Thaddeus' birth and death. Thaddeus Bennett wrote in his family bible that he was born on May 9, 1760. His tombstone says his birthdate was February 28, 1764. Family records show that Thaddeus died on February 9, 1834, but his tombstone says his death date was January 8, 1834.

General William Henry Harrison visited the area again in 1836.

In 1837, Joseph Bennett laid out a town on the land surrounding his home. He gave a building site to anyone who would guarantee to build a home in the settlement. Joseph named the town Harrisonville, after his friend, General Harrison. However, it would be 22 more years before the town of Harrisonville would become "official." The town had not been platted in Scioto County records.

The first church known to be organized in Harrisonville was the Harrisonville Methodist Church organized in 1837. The first services were held in a log church at the northern end of the town.

In 1840, General Harrison was nominated by the Whigs to run for President of the United States. Joseph Bennett campaigned in the area for General Harrison. President Harrison was inaugurated in February of 1841. However, he caught a cold soon after being inaugurated. The cold turned into pneumonia, and on April 4, 1841, President Harrison died in office.

In 1840, there were 687 people living in Harrison Township--355 white males, 326 white females, 4 free black males and 2 free black females. (13)

In 1850, the population of Harrison Township had grown to 1,102--557 white males, 545 white females.

In 1856 the Harrisonville Methodist church was sold. Rev. Sheldon Parker and trustees James R.Taylor, William Slattery, J.M. Violet, John Crull and Stewart Richardson took on the task of building a new church. The new Harrisonville Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in May of 1858. Services were held at Glade FreeWill Baptist Church until the building was completed in 1872. The lot for the new building was donated by J.Q. Shumway. The structure was built by early church members Purdy, Samson, and McKinney. The church was believed to be located near the old Pfleger General Store.


THE TOWN OF HARRISONVILLE IS FORMED

As more people came to Harrison Township, more businesses were established in the area. Joseph Bennett and other town members wanted to establish a town in Harrison Township. The town site was surveyed on May 24, 1859, by Deputy County Surveyor Frank C. Gibbs. Harrisonville became official on August 22, 1859, when Mr. Gibbs recorded the survey in Portsmouth. Local history has shown that the town was previously platted by Moses Gregory, but no record was ever made of the plat.

THE HARRISONVILLE REUNION

The Harrisonville Reunion was one of the biggest events in all of Scioto County. The Harrisonville Reunion has a history going back to the end of the Civil War in 1865. Town residents were happy that the war had ended. At their July 4, 1865, celebration, they decided to honor Civil War veterans from Scioto and Pike Counties at a picnic to be held later in the summer. Organizers of the event were: Abram F. Miller, Thomas Dugan, and John L. Ward. The picnic took place on August 17, 1865 at Dugan's Grove. Over 5,000 people attended the picnic. Banners flew, bands played, and food was abundant. Colonel T.W. Higgins and General Robert Schenk spoke to the crowd. The Honorable Eli Glover gave the closing speech.
The annual reunion was held at Dugan's Grove until 1880 when the celebration was moved to Harrisonville. People came from all around in horse-drawn buggies and carriages. It was estimated that 5,000 to 7,000 people attended these great reunions for the soldiers. The reunions had balloon ascentions, baseball games, picnics, speakers, and other attractions. For years the celebration was known as "the 17th of August." In the August 17, 1900 edition of The Daily Times, p. 1, an article described plans for the upcoming reunion. "Every rig and spare cab in the city have been engaged and the pike from here out will be black with vehicles and people a foot."
The reunions started to fizzle between 1915 and 1920. People complained that the reunions were too commercialized and the patriotic feeling for the veterans was fading.


JOSEPH BENNETT PASSES AWAY

Joseph Bennett died on April 30, 1868. He was 73 years old. He died in Greenup County, Kentucky, to where most of his immediate family had gravitated. Joseph's sons Thaddeus, Frank, and William Parmoley moved to Greenup County. There is a covered bridge on the Tygart River in Greenup County named Bennett's Mill. At one time there was a corn and wheat mill close to the bridge that was owned by the sons of Joseph Bennett. Joseph is buried in Lindsey Cemetery beside the local Grange Hall. His father, wife, and daughter are also buried there.

THE "NEW CHURCH" IS CONSTRUCTED

In 1875, the Harrison Free Will Baptist Church (also known as New Church) was constructed on its present site in 1875. It was originally shared by the United Bretheren and the Free Will Baptist on alternate Sundays. The group joined and were nicknamed the "New Church." (14)

THE FIRST SCHOOL

Harrisonville had a special school district in 1878. The school district directors were: W.J. Crull, C.M. Coburn, and J.C. Clark. The only teacher was William H. Bradford. In 1883 the school district directors were J.B. Ray, W.J. Minford, and R.H. Coburn. Bertha Coburn taught at the school at that time for a salary of $35 per month for the seven month term. (12) Mr. Henry Clay Lantz taught at the Mount Carmel School in Madison Township in 1884. It was his second year of teaching when three of his pupils were Mrs. Susie Allen, Mrs. Nancy Woddell, and Miss Lizzie Kronk. Mr. Kronk's first year of teaching was at Hardscrabble School. His teaching career lasted for 25 years. Following his teaching career he owned and operated several grocery stores. Two of Mr. Kronk's students mentioned above also became teachers--Mrs. Woddell and Miss Kronk. Mrs. Allen married a school teacher. Miss Kronk also served as a missionary in Tennessee.


HARRISONVILLE PROSPERS

By 1880, the population of Harrison Township had grown to 1,325. Lodges played a big part in the community of Harrisonville. Ives Lodge Knight of Phythias started in 1890. Soon after it was organized, a large two-story hall was built at a cost of $1,800 including fixtures.
Scioto Post GAR was established in 1880.
Lois Camp Sons of Veterans was organized in 1880. They enjoyed second rank in the state of Ohio.

THE RAILROAD COMES TO TOWN

The area continued to grow and prosper as the Chesapeake and Ohio Northern Railroad laid track through the town in 1916. It was the C&O Railroad line that forced the name change from Harrisonville to Minford.

HARRISONVILLE CHANGES ITS NAME TO MINFORD

There was another town called Harrisonville on the C&O Railroad line. Railroad officials wanted to simplify matters, so they asked local resident Frank R. Minford if he thought the village would mind changing its name. Frank R. Minford was friends with one of the C&O Railroad attorneys.
Several names were suggested for the town--Harrison, Bennettville, and Minford. In honor of Frank R. Minford, (a local blacksmith) the town's name was changed to Minford on August 17, 1917. Frank R. Minford was the son of William J. Minford who immigrated to the area from County Antrim, Northern Ireland in 1846. William, his mother, brother Robert, and sister Agnes first arrived in New York before traveling to Ohio. William was the owner of a successful blacksmith business in the area. He taught his trade to his son, Frank, who took over the business when his father passed away.

Frank R. Minford was born to William J. Minford and Sarah Elizabeth Lyons Minford on May 9, 1866, in Harrisonville. When Frank was 21 years old, he married Lizza Munn. They had a son named William. Lizza died in 1890, and Frank remarried on August 4, 1895. His second wife was Lizze Gaston. Together Frank and Lizzie Gaston Minford had five children: Homer, Gertrude, Gladys, Ada, and Kathleen. Gladys Minford worked in the cafeteria of the old Minford High School until her retirement. Frank R. Minford died in 1942. He is buried in Bennett Cemetery in Minford.

REFERENCES

(1) The Portsmouth Area Recognitions Society. "The History of Scioto County." Taylor Publishing, Dallas, Texas, 1986.

(2) Information transcribed from "History of Greenup County Kentucky," Pages 120-121. Authored by: Nina Mitchell Biggs and Mabel Lee Mackoy, Windmill Publications, Inc., 6628 Uebelhack Rd., Mt. Vernon, IN 47620, 1951, Reprinted in 1990.

(3) Information received from Tom Housley on the net at DirectorTH@aol.com and Cindy Munn at munsters@zoomnet.net. My heartfelt thanks to both of them for a great piece of Research Work!

(4) From the Book "The other Bennetts" by Isabel (Bennett) Ridell:
Mr. Stephan B. Bennett, Pittston, PA

(5) information obtained from: The Chemung County Historical Society. 415 East Water Street, Elmira, New York, June 18, 1996:

(6) information received from The Schuyler County Historical Society P.O. Box 651, Montour Falls, N.Y. , 14865 in September 1996: Dated 1879. This information is important in that the area of intrest here is the area in which The Bennett Families came to settle after relocating from PA, Mass, Rhode Island, Conn.

(7) the History of Tioga, Chemung, Tompkins, and Schuyler Counties: Dated 1879, page 678 received from the Schuyler County Historical Society on October 1996:

(8) Family Tree Maker CD's

(9) Ibid.

(10) N. Gampp, Bennett/Bentley Families, The Portsmouth Public Library, Gen 929.2, July 4 1941

(11) Ralston, Richard, Pioneer Traces Minford History, The PortsmouthTimes, January 26, 1978 p.1.

(12) N. Gampp, p.2.

(13) 1840 U.S. Census Scioto County

(14) Church History on the Internet


More About THADDEUS BENNETT:
Fact 1: 1777, REVOLUTIONARY WAR SOLDIER WITH THE NEW YORK MILITIA
Fact 6: ENLISTED AT AGE 16 IN THE CONTINENTAL ARMY FOUGHT IN THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR.
Fact 8: 1818, LEFT NY ON A RAFT THAT HE BUILT AT OLEAN, NY
Fact 9: FLOTTED DOWN THE ALLEGHENY AND OHIO RIVERS AND LANDED AT THE MOUTH OF THE LITTLE
Fact 10: SCIOTO RIVER IN OHIO. HE LOCATED NEAR STOCKDALE IN SCIOTO COUNTY OHIO.
Fact 11: MOVED TO PRESENT SITE OF HARRISONVILLE.

Notes for SHEBA EUNICE BENTLEY:


Connecticut county courthouses (in alphabetical order by county):

Litchfield Judicial District
P.O. Box 488
Litchfield, CT 06759
Telephone: (203) 567-9461


Notes:

Here we have conflicting information i.e. Eunice Bently was born January 19, 1762 in Kent, Litchfield CT, Married Thaddeus Bennett on September 10, 1780 in Porter, Scioto County OH. Then supposedly died December 13, 1790 in Chemung NY.

From information obtained in "The History of Greenup County Kentucky", Eunice came to Ohio with her husband and 7 children about 1818. One child was born later, in Ohio. Therefor I believe that they were probably married in Chemung NY on September 10, 1780. From the dates of birth of their children, she couldn't possibly have died until after 1796, after her last child was born.

From information obtained from the Office of Town Clerk in Kent Conneticut, dated 22 April, 1996:

The vital statitics records for the town of Kent did not show a birth record for Eunice Bently. Their records did show that a James and Eunice Bently had three children that were born in Kent: Abia, daughter, April 3, 1766, Helena, daughter, November 22, 1770, Lucy, daughter, March 22, 1768.

     
Children of THADDEUS BENNETT and ELIZABETH MEADE are:
71. i.   ELIZABETH ANN7 BENNETT, b. 10 Feb 1810, New York; d. 30 Jul 1886, Yakima, Washington (Pioneer Cemetary).
72. ii.   JESSE BENNETT, b. 20 May 1811, New York; d. 14 May 1883, Dutch Ridge, Scioto County, Ohio.
  iii.   IRA BENNETT, b. Abt. 1816.
73. iv.   THOMAS M. BENNETT, b. Abt. 1820, Scioto County, Ohio.
  v.   CATHERINE BENNETT, b. Abt. 1822; m. JOHN TOLBERT.
     
Children of THADDEUS BENNETT and SHEBA BENTLEY are:
74. vi.   THADDEUS BENNETT7 JR., b. Abt. 1783, Chemung, Chemung, New York.
75. vii.   MARY BENNETT, b. Abt. 1785, Chemung, Chemung County, New York.
  viii.   RHODA BENNETT, b. Abt. 1786, Chemung, Chemung County, New York; m. WILLIAM CRAWFORD.
76. ix.   SARAH BENTLEY BENNETT, b. Abt. 1788, Chemung, Chemung County, New York.
  x.   HETTIE BENNETT, b. Abt. 1790; m. DANIEL DODGE, 03 Nov 1758.
  Notes for HETTIE BENNETT:
Marriage Index: Ohio, 1789-1850
     
Bennett, Harriet      Sp : Titus, Arthur J.
      M : Sep 11, 1833
      County : Scioto Co.
      Sex : F


  xi.   EUNICE BENNETT, b. Abt. 1794, CHEMUNG, CHEMUNG NEW YORK; d. Aft. 08 Jan 1834; m. ELIJAH GASTON.
77. xii.   JOSEPH BENNETT, b. 01 Oct 1794, Chemung, Chemung County, New York; d. 30 Apr 1868, Bennetts Mill, Greenup County, Kentucky.
78. xiii.   GAHIEL (JEHIAL) BENNETT, b. 1796, Chemung, Chemung County, New York.


[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]
Home | Help | About Us | Biography.com | HistoryChannel.com | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009 Ancestry.com