Welcome to the beginnings of the Hatch/Warner Genealogy Page
This information is not fully edited, it may not necessarily be fact. Willa in Texas, Linda in Oklahoma, Judy in Iowa, and Eric in Seattle have been putting together this puzzle by digging for information. Nancy and Eric have access to a Gates Photo Album that has given us clues. Judy has a copy of Elisha Gates will and there are a few clues in census records and books. Those of us working on the Warner, Gates, Kingsley side of the family tree have a puzzle to be solved. It is hoped that viewers of this site will be able to fill in the missing information. Our great grandparents, Phelps and Phidelia Gates Warner were from Vermont and traveled to Iowa where they farmed along with their descendants. Phidelia Gates was listed in the estate of Elisha Gates, but there was no record of her birth or marriage to Phelps or Joel Phelps Warner. Phelps Warner is the assumed son of Joel Warner and Rebeckah Hakely. The following is the information we have found to date. If you have any puzzle pieces we would appreciate hearing from you.
Linda Warner, email@example.com, wife of Roland Allen Warner--Carl Allen Warner, James Phelps Warner, Horace Irwin Warner, Phelps Warner
Willa Smith, wls1940sbcglobal.net, granddaughter of Earl Royal Warner, Sr., Charles Phelps Warner, Phelps Warner
Judy Heckman, firstname.lastname@example.org, wife of Kevin Dean Heckman--Dean David Heckman-Mary Spangler, Beryl Ellsworth Spangler, Edna Iren Warner, Horace Irwin Warner, Phelps Warner
Nancy Warner, email@example.com, wife of Jim Warner--Don Warner, Frank Herbert Warner, Phelps Warner
Eric Warner, firstname.lastname@example.org, son of Jim Warner--Don Warner, Frank Herbert Warner, Phelps Warner
The beginning pages:
Descendents of Stevin Thomas Warner
Descendents of Peter Gates
Descendents of Kingsley
Links to Web site resources
Documentation, Resources, and Bibliography
- Warner: Joel Phelps Warner (30 KB)
Joel Phelps Warner, or Phelps Warner, August 31, 1819 Bernardston, MA-January 9, 1892 Bear Grove Township, Iowa, 72 years of age. He is listed in the 1850 Castleton, Rutland Co., Vermont Census along with Delia, Charles, and Frederick. Listed in the 1880 Bear Grove Township, Guthrie County Iowa census along with Adelia and Frank. Oral history is that Phelps moved to Vermont at the age of 16 and left Vermont in 1855, living the first fourteen years of marriage in Vermont. He moved to Scott County, Iowa until 1871. The deed to the farm in Guthrie County is dated September 21, 1874.
- Long: Tombstone of Asa and Rebecca Long (221 KB)
Sunnyhill Cemetery, just south of Adair Iowa
- Warner: Frank, Horace, Fred and Charles Warner (70 KB)
The four sons of Phidelia Gates Warner and Joel Phelps Warner. Frank was born in Iowa; Horace, Fred and Charles were born in Vermont.
- Long: Six Daughters of Asa and Rebecca Long (882 KB)
Back Row Cora Long Bricker Bailey, Margaret Ann Long Shroyer, Martha A. Long Bailey
Front Row Lettie Long Warner, Rachael Catherine Long Walls, Mary Long Hall
- Warner: Gravesite of Phelps and Phidelia (58 KB)
Page 249 of Iowa Cemetery Records, Tombstone Records of Guthrie County, Iowa. Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Guthrie, Iowa. Comment: 4 children; Lot 8; Guthrian 14 Jan 1892, Guthrie Center, Guthrie County wif: Delia
- Henry Robert Manning Hatch with family (42 KB)
Henry and Fanny Hatch and family members. I am unable to identify everyone in this picture.
- Long: Six Sons of Asa and Rebecca Long (199 KB)
Back Row Jacob E. Long, John Douglas Long, James Powel Long
Front Row Frank Guthrie Long, Andrew Jackson Long, Charlie C. Long
- Gates: Phidelia Gates Warner (40 KB)
Phidelia was born in Castleton, VT August 31, 1821 and died November 6, 1891 in Bear Grove Township, Guthrie County, Iowa at 70 years of age. Phidelia and Phelps were married January 5, 1841. Family members have heard that Phidelia was a Native American. Birth records and marriage records have not been found.
- Eliza Mercer Hatch Mac Leod (186 KB)
Eliza, daughter of Henry Robert Manning Hatch and wife of Alex Mac Leod.
- Lettie, Mae Cope, Child of Martha Cope, Rebecca (42 KB)
Long: Four Generations
- Gates: Horace H. Gates (153 KB)
Horace Gates, brother of Phidelia, is listed in the database of American Civil War Soldiers--residence at the time was Anamosa, Iowa. He enlisted as a Private on 14 August 1862 at the age of 36; Enlisted in CompanyE, 31st Infantry Regiment Iowa on 12 September 1862; Promoted to Full Hospital Steward on 13 February 1863; Promoted to Full Assistant Surgeon on 01 March 1864; Promoted to Full Surgeon on 10 June 1865; Mustered out on 27 June 1865 in Louisville, KY.
Sources: Roster and Record of Iowa Soldiers in the War of Rebellion. (IARoster) Published in 1910 by English
- four generations Virginia Carper and Maggie Shroye (25 KB)
Shroyer: Four Generations
- Gates: Salmon Gates (75 KB)
Salmon K. Gates, brother to Phidelia Gates, was married to Harriet Ellen Hawkins. His brother Don C. Gates married Harriet's sister Cornelia.
- Maggie, Frank and Jake Long (46 KB)
three children of Asa and Rebecca Long
- Gates: Harriet Ellen Hawkins Gates (86 KB)
Harriet was the sister-in-law of Phidelia and wife of Salmon K. Gates.
- Rebecca's Death Notice (60 KB)
from an Iowa newspaper IN OUR FILES
- Warner: Fred, Horace, Frank, and Charles (25 KB)
Four sons of Phelps and Phidelia Warner.
- Thankful Warner's death (328 KB)
Vital Records of Bernardston, Franklin County, MA
- Warner: Frank, Fred, and Horace Warner (54 KB)
- Warner: Don, Letty, Frank, Clara, Fred,May Warner (25 KB)
Frank and Lettitia Warner's family.
- Warner: Don, Fred and Frank Warner (14 KB)
Frank and his two sons.Warn
- Warner: Frank Herbert Warner Gravesite (90 KB)
Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Bear Grove Township, Guthrie County, Iowa
- Fanny Caterson Hatch (212 KB)
Fanny Caterson, wife of Henry Robert Manning Hatch.
- Warner: Frank Warner Obituary The Guthrian (36 KB)
Frank Herbert Warner's obituary in THE GUTHRIAN.
- Waverly, Robert, Fanny, Fanny Caterson Hatch, Henr (45 KB)
The Henry Robert Manning Hatch immediate family
- Warner: Clara is on the bottom (5 KB)
Clara Warner died young. She was the daughter of Frank and Lettitia Warner.
- Eliza Mercer Hatch Mac Leod (28 KB)
Eliza Mercer Hatch, daughter of Henry Robert Manning Hatch, wife of Alex Mac Leon (Aunt Leila)
- Warner: Class Photo--Clara 2nd from left back row (37 KB)
Clara and unidentified classmates.
- Mary Hatch Riggs (47 KB)
Mary Hatch, daughter of Henry Robert Manning Hatch, wife of Clarence Riggs
- Warner: Clara's Gravesite (47 KB)
Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Bear Grove Township, Guthrie County, Iowa
- Fanny Charlotte Hatch Sweeny (51 KB)
Fanny Hatch, daughter of Henry Robert Manning Hatch, wife of John Sweeny
- Warner: Clara's Obituary (43 KB)
Editor's note: They don't write obituaries like this today.
- Riggs and Hatches (75 KB)
- Warner: Clara's Obituary cont. (29 KB)
Editor's note: We think that the author of this obituary might have been infatuated with Clara!
- Gravestone of Rebeccah Ackley Warner (53 KB)
Rebeccah, wife of Joel Warner died June 27, 1842 aged 62 years. Buried in Sharon Center Cemetery, Sharon Center, Potter County, Pennsylvania front row
- Long: Asa Long and Rebecca Himes Long (553 KB)
on the occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary in 1904
- Census (470 KB)
Vermont and Massachusetts Census Records...Joel Warner is from Franklin County, MA and Ruthland County, VT. Ignor the other circled Joel Warners.
- Gravestone of Joel Warner (294 KB)
Potter County, Pennsylvania, Sharon Center Cemetery
- Robert Hatch Obituary (66 KB)
South Carolina Obituary of Captain Robert Hatch