- Gene Manning Memory Card (19 KB)
Contributed by Stuart Manning
- Almanzor Martin & Mary Hylton Marriage (61 KB)
- Jim & Mary Belle Manning (10 KB)
Celebrating 50 years of marriage.
- Benjamin J Martin (1811-1874) grave (61 KB)
Benjamin J Martin is buried in the Chop Chestnut Cemetery in Powell County, Kentucky
- JB & Mildred Martin Ash (68 KB)
Mildred was the daughter of Clifton & Emma Martin
- Knox Surname in History of Kentucky (586 KB)
Knoxville, Tennesse named after Pioneers
- Louis Martin on horse (25 KB)
Louis Martin was the youngest son born to Almanzor & Mary Elizabeth Hylton Martin.
- Priscilla (Hanks) Martin (1811-1904) grave (32 KB)
Priscilla Hanks Martin is buried in the Chop Chestnut Cemetery in Powell County, Kentucky
- John Frank Martin Death Certificate (440 KB)
- Robert Sexton Martin (1920-2007) (44 KB)
Second son of Clifton & Emma Martin
- Almanzor L "Sonny" Martin 1844-1925 (56 KB)
Almanzor L Martin (AKA "Sonny") was the son of Benjamin & Priscilla Martin
- James L Martin Death Certificate 1845-1933 (289 KB)
States Benjamin Martin was born in Virginia.
- Woodford Wayland & Brunie Martin (57 KB)
Woodford was the third son of Clifton & Emma Martin.
- Ruth Bell (LouisaBell) Martin Melville & daughters (63 KB)
From left to right: Vivian, Ruth and Evadna Melville of Fall Creek, Wisconsin.
- Virginia & Maudena Brook Martin (55 KB)
Daughters of Clifton & Emma Martin.
- John Jefferson Martin Death 1878 / 8 months old (400 KB)
Son of John Frank & Paulina Martin
- Seven Sons (26 KB)
The seven sons of Clifton & Emma Martin
- 1904 Priscilla Hanks Martin newspaper clipping (265 KB)
Saved by her Grandson Clifton Martin, taken from a Wisconsin newspaper in 1904.
- John Hanks Frontier Militia (307 KB)
- Clifton & Emma Martin with their five little boys (50 KB)
This picture was taken about the time Clifton moved (via the railroad) his family from Powell County, Ky to Elizabethtown, Hardin County, Ky. His sons, oldest to youngest are: John Franklin, Robert Sexton, Woodford Wayland, Arnold Dale and Shirlie Hamilton.
- Martha Hutson martin Death Dertificate (672 KB)
Buried in Martin Cemetery - an obvious family connection but not sure of the tie-in.
- Shirlie Hamilton Martin & wife Wilda Edwards (35 KB)
Shirlie Hamilton Martin was the fifth son of Clifton & Emma Martin. He is pictured with his mother, wife Wilda Edwards and daughters Shirley Belinda & Beverly Martin.
- 1897 Orphanage Order Part A (115 KB)
Youngest children of Almanzor & Mary Hylton Martin were committed to the Sparta Orphanage in Wisconsin.
- Ancil Newton Spencer (248 KB)
Ancil Newton Spencer (brother of Emma Jane Spencer Martin) was killed in France during WWI
- Family Record of Clifton Martin (44 KB)
Hand writing of Clifton Roscoe Martin
- Mildred LMartin Ash Carter: Tribute to her Parents (102 KB)
Written by Mildred and printed in The News Enterprise in Elizabethtown, Kentucky.
- John Frank Martin (1833-1914) (128 KB)
John Frank Martin is in the center of this picture that was taken by the Union Kentucky Railroad in 1889. This photo also shows his home in Powell Co, KY. I'm hoping others in the photo can be identified!
- Martha Hutson Martin Death Dertificate (672 KB)
Buried in Martin Cemetery - an obvious family connection but not sure of the tie-in.
- Virginia & Maudena Martin (48 KB)
Virginia, a neighbor and Maudena Brook Martin.
- 1897 Orphanage Order Part B (81 KB)
- Log Cabin of Benjamin & Priscilla Hanks Martin (447 KB)
This cabin still stands in Powell County, Kentucky although I am told it has been covered with siding and painted green.
- Clifton Martin building sidewalk in Wisconsin. (440 KB)
Clifton stands in center, wearing a vest. Notice the child with the missing arm?
- Mary Elizabeth Martin Johnson 1835-1911 (493 KB)
Daughter of Benjamin & Prescilla Martin. Her husband Frank Johnson was a Civil War soldier. The couple had no children.
- John Franklin & Willa Mae (Townsend) Martin (58 KB)
John was the firstborn son of Clifton & Emma Martin.
- Evadna Melville (63 KB)
Daughter of Irving & Ruth Belle Martin Melville of Fall Creek, Wisconsin.
- 1850 Powell County Census (618 KB)
Benjamin & Priscilla are 37, eight children aged 3-17 years. Benjamin is a farmer and his real estate is valued at $400.
- Fall Creek, Wisconsin Postcard (43 KB)
Postcard showing street where Ruth Belle (Martin) Melville's family owned a jewelry store.
- Clifton Martin at saw mill (50 KB)
Clifton Martin is on far left.
- Maudena Brook Martin Death Certificate 1921-1933 (274 KB)
Daughter of Clifton & Emma Spencer Martin
- Priscilla Hanks Martin Tombstone (32 KB)
Priscilla Hanks Martin in buried in Chop Chestnut Cemetery in Powell County, Kentucky.
- 1860 Powell County, KY Census (542 KB)
Benjamin & Priscilla are both 48, seven children live at home aged 10-23. Real estate $300 and personal property $275.
- Ruth Belle Martin (1885- ? ) at age 16 (51 KB)
Ruth (renamed Louisa Bell by her adoptive parents), daughter of Almanzor & Mary Martin poses for this picture.
- Death of Elijah Martin (766 KB)
Elijah Martin was a neighbor and was most likely kin to our Benjamin Martin.
- Chestnut Grove School House (56 KB)
The Martins attended school at the Chestnut Grove School House just off of present day Highyway 62 in Elizabethtown, Kentucky..
- 1870 Powell County, KY Census (690 KB)
Benjamin & Priscilla are both 58 years old. Their real estate is valued at $600 and personal property $250.
- Maudena Brook Martin (1921-1933) (33 KB)
Maudena died April 1, 1933 at age 12. Her mother would not allow any April Fool's jokes to be played following her death.
- Wilderness Road 1774-1785 (82 KB)
- 1880 Powell County, KY Census (614 KB)
Widowed Priscilla lives with son Vancouver & Isabelle Martin. Almanzor (another son) and Mary live next door.
- Me and Grandma Emma Martin (68 KB)
This is me with my Grandma (and droopy drawers and little green apples!) Thanks to Darrell Stevens for this picture!
- 1900 Powell County, KY Census (675 KB)
Priscilla lives with her oldest son John Frank Martin. This is the last census Priscilla appears in, she dies in 1904 at age 93.
- Clifton & Emma Martin's log cabin (69 KB)
Clifton & Emma Martin moved to this log cabin in Elizabethtown, Kentucky in Feb of 1920. Here, the remaining eight of their fourteen children were born.
- The Mysterious Robbery Front Cover (348 KB)
- "The Mysterious Robbery" Back Cover (460 KB)
Photos of Ruth Belle Martin Melville's family
- Bradley Kincaid Songbook (53 KB)
Bradley Kincaid, Great Grandson of Benjamin & Priscilla Martin through their daughter Rutha Jane who was mother to William Plummer Kincaid.
- William Shepherd & Martha (Hudson) Martin (57 KB)
William Shepherd & Martha (Hudson) Martin were neighbors of, and perhaps kin to Benjamin & Priscilla (Hanks) Martin.
- Bradley Kincaid (42 KB)
This picture shows Bradley Kincaid at the microphone during the early 1940's
- Log Cabin of Benjamin & Priscilla Martin 2008 (546 KB)
This is how the log cabin of Benjamin & Priscilla looks today in Powell County, KY.
- Manning Brothers in the Navy (69 KB)
Contributed by Stuart Manning
- Vancouver Martin 1858-1925 Tombstone (524 KB)
Vancouver is buried in the Chop Chestnut Cemetery in Powell County, Kentucky.
- Family of William L Spencer (46 KB)
William L was the father of Emma Jane Spencer Martin.
- Mary Belle Manning's 100th Birthday (88 KB)
This photo was contributed by Stuart Manning
- Bradley Kincaid at the Grand Ole Opry (56 KB)
Bradley Kincaid, "The Kentucky Mountain Boy". Son of William Plummer Kincaid. Grandson of Rutha Martin Kincaid. Great Grandson of Benjamin & Priscilla Hanks Martin.
- Moses & Elizabeth (Deaton) Spencer (49 KB)
Great Great Grandparents of Emma Jane Spencer Martin
- Mabel Knox West (about 1923) (429 KB)
Mabel Knox West was the daughter of Lillian May (Martin) Knox, grand daughter of Vancouver Martin, Great Grandddaughter of Benjamin & Priscilla. She died at age 28. I am in touch with Mabel's granddaughter Melissa (West) Coyle.
- Clifton Roscoe Martin (1880-1956) (11 KB)
Farmed in Elizabethtown, Kentucky
- Children of Franklin Nathaniel Spencer (75 KB)
Emma Jane Spencer Martin's father, William L "Doo" Spencer is in the center of the middle row. This picture shows 13 of Franklin's 15 children.
- Almanzor L Martin grave in Chop Chestnut Cemetery (1312 KB)
This picture was contributed by Roscoe & Joann Martin.
- Mabel & Beulah Knox - Grand Children of Vancouver (519 KB)
Mable Marie Knox, born June 03, 1902 in Indiana; died December 18, 1930 in Bowen, Kentucky.Beulah D Knox, born January 21, 1905; died December 16, 1990 in Stanton, Kentucky.
- Elizabethtown, Kentucky Martins (54 KB)
Jimmy holds Shirley Faye, Neomia,?,Roscoe, Garnett, Patricia, Ruth holding Joe, ?
- Lydia, Virden & Hank Stoner Martin (1893-1964) (46 KB)
Ramah Glenn Martin shares this photo of his parents and brother Verdin Ulysses Martin. Isn't this a great picture?
- Mabel, Keyser & Beulah Knox (223 KB)
Mabel, Keyser & Beulah Knox
- John Franklin & Willa Mae Martin (47 KB)
John was the oldest son of Clifton & Emma Martin
- Hank & Lydia Martin with son Verdin Ulysses (44 KB)
Ramah Glenn Martin shares another picture of his parents and brother.
- History of Kentucky (1922) (567 KB)
A signed statement of John Hanks (father of Priscilla) was used as a source of reference in thie 1922 text.
- Roxie Adams Allen grave (15 KB)
Roxie Adams Allen is the granddaughter of Vancouver Martin
- Lillian, Mabel and George Knox (258 KB)
Lillian, Mabel and George Knox
- Martin Clan of Elizabethtown (39 KB)
This photo was taken in about 1953
- John Hanks 1830 Census (491 KB)
Priscilla's father John Hanks is present in the Powell County, KY census
- George Knox grave (15 KB)
George Knox was the husband of Lillian May Martin, daughter of Vancouver Martin.
- Powell County, Kentucky Map (360 KB)
Map of Powell County, Kentucky
- John Franklin Martin WWII (34 KB)
John was a soldier during WWII
- Photo of Benjamin & Priscilla's log cabin (86 KB)
This is the cabin of Benjamin & Priscilla Hanks Martin. Vancouver is shown with his wife Isabelle (Martin) Martin, their son Benjamin Franklin in hat & dress, and daughters (l to r) Lillian May, Ada and Gwendolyn "Gonnie" Martin.
- Gene Manning (8 KB)
- 1800 Kentucky Tax List (510 KB)
John Hanks is the father of Priscilla Hanks. John and William Hanks were brothers, their father is Peter Hanks. These were the Hanks of Montgomery County in 1800, along with Abraham Hanks who was the father of Nancy Hanks, mother of President Abraham Lincoln (according to noted Hanks Researcher Adin Baber). Nancy was born in 1874, so at the time of this recording she would have been about 6 years old and living in Montgomery County.
- Gene Manning grave (19 KB)
Grave of Gene Manning
- Almanzor Martin Death Certificate (496 KB)
- History Of Pioneer Lexington 1779-1806 (97 KB)
More information about Charles Vancouver is found in this book.
- Ruth Jane Martin Kincaid Death Certificate (483 KB)
Lists her father's name as being Ben Jefferson Martin
- Vancouver's Fort / Vancouver's Station (64 KB)
Priscilla Hanks Martin's father, John Hanks was instrumental in the establishment of this fort in the pioneer advancement into present day Kentucky.
- Vancouver Martin's Family 1889 (51 KB)
Vancouver with wife Isabelle and son Benjamin Franklin wearing a dress. Daughters from left to right: Lillian, Ada and Gwendolyn Martin.
- Rebecca Holmes Knox grave (15 KB)
Rebecca Holmes (born 1811) was the daughter of Elizabeth Hanks Holmes (sister of John & William Hanks, daughter of Peter Hanks)
- Waupun Prison in Wisconsin (48 KB)
Waupun Prison as depicted on post card
- Roxie Adams Allen obituary (12 KB)
Roxie was the daughter of Ada Jane Martin & Weed Adams
- Plaque on Vancouver's Fort Monument (43 KB)
Monument dedicated to the pioneers who first settlement in Louisa, Kentucky. JONATHAN HANKS
- George Washington writes Charles Vancouver (72 KB)
Charles Vancouver ventured the establishment of Vancouver's Station with the help of Priscilla's father, John Hanks. John's descendants are peppered with the name Vancouver, apparently having been named after this man. Vancouver was a noted agriculturist of his day and had published books on horticulture.
- Court houses burned during Civil War (66 KB)
This bit of history confounds and frustrates genealogists!
- Ada Jane Martin Adams obituary (24 KB)
Ada Jane Martin was the daughter of Vancouver & Isabell Martin
- Clifton & Emma Martin with son John (44 KB)
John Franklin Martin was the firstborn son of Clifton & Emma Martin. Their first child, Sarah Edith was born and died on the same day.
- Jim & Mary Belle Manning 1962 (20 KB)
Photo from Stuart Manning