Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals |InterneTree |Sources

View Tree for Capt. Nathan CarpenterCapt. Nathan Carpenter (b. April 12, 1757, d. September 9, 1814)

Nathan Carpenter (son of Abiel Carpenter and Charity Allen)1228, 1229 was born April 12, 1757 in Rehoboth, Bristol Co., Massachusetts1230, 1231, and died September 9, 1814 in Liberty Twp., Delaware Co., Ohio1232, 1233. He married Irene Reid on February 7, 17811234.

 Includes NotesNotes for Nathan Carpenter:
From A Genealogical History of the Rehoboth Branch of the Carpenter Family in America by Amos B. Carpenter (1898), full text online at, p. 838 [additions& corrections section]:

Nathan was b. April 12, 1757; m. 1st, Irene Reid Feb. 7, 1781; m. 2d, Naomi Cornell June 17, 1810; he d. Sept. 19, 1814 in Liberty Township, Delaware Co., Ohio. They had ten children. The first five were born in Willington, Conn.; the last five in Tioga County, now Chenango County, N. Y. I find by a letter written by William Carpenter, a grandson of Nathan, that his father was named Ira Allen Carpenter, [Ethan Allen was a brother of Ira Allen.--A. B. C.] after the name of Ethan Allen, [if so it was probably after his brother.] Also that his father claimed to be a relative of Ethan Allen. The tradition is correct.

[EDITOR'S NOTE by Richard R. Wilson of Clyde Hill, WA: This tradition of connection to the family of Ethan Allen through Charity Allen, the wife of Abiel Carpenter, is demonstrably NOT correct. General Ethan Allen (1738-1789) was the eldest child of Joseph Allen and Mary (Baker) Allen. He had seven younger brothers and sisters, b. betw. 1740 and 1751, none of whom was named Charity. See Orrin Peer Allen, The Allen Memorial, Press of C.B. Fiske & Company. Massachusetts, 1907 Call No. R929.2A42.1, full text repr. online at, pp. 28-29, 44 ff.]

From A Genealogical History of the Rehoboth Branch of the Carpenter Family in America by Amos B. Carpenter (1898), full text online at, pp. 146-149:

Nathan Carpenter served in the Revolution in the 3d Battalion, under Colonel Sage, in Captain Parker's Company, 1776, Conn. Volunteers; he enlisted May 5 and was discharged Dec. 17, 1775; he enlisted again March 7, 1777, and was discharged March 17, 1780.

Dec. 30, 1800. At this time the County of Tioga [New York] is evidently undivided and Nathan Carpenter is said to be of Oxford, in the County of Chenango. On the above date a deed is made by "James Glover of Norwich in the County of Chenaugo and State of New York, and Alphana his wife to Nathan Carpenter of Oxford, in the County and State aforesaid, yeoman, which for the sum of $1500 disposes of 520 acres of land situated lying, and being in the military tract in the territory northwest of the Ohio, in the 3d and 4th sections in the 4th township and 19th range subject to the conditions, restrictions and provisions contained in the Act of Congress passed on the first day of June, 1796, entitled an Act regulating the grants of land appropriated for military services and for the Society of the United Brethren for propagating the Gospel among the heathen, and of the several Acts supplementary thereto, passed on the 2nd day of March, 1799, and on the 7th day of February, and 1st day of March, 1800." Witnessed by Benjamin Hovey, S. O. Rungon, Avery Power. Acknowledged before Benjamin Hovey, one of the judges of Chenango County, on January 1. 1801. This land was then in the County of Ross, in the Territory of the United States, N. W. of the Ohio River; that county at that time covered immense territory; this land is now five miles south of the town of Delaware.

Liberty township lies south of Delaware and is one of three original townships into which the county was divided for temporary purposes, at the time of its formation. This township is noted as being the site of the first settlement made in the county by white people. A complete and intelligent history of this early settlement involves a sketch of the family who made it. The following facts pertaining to this noted Carpenter family and their settlement in this township are from an article in the Delaware Gazette, written by A. E. Goodrich, a descendant.

After the death of Abiel, his son Abraham Carpenter was established in the family seat at the village of Rehoboth, in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, which at that time was a small republic and quite independent as it had not yet been enslaved by the encroachments of the British Ministry. Here he continually added to his estate by the purchase of small and sometimes large tracts of land until he became an extensive land owner. No doubt it will be somewhat surprising to our readers to learn that prices for land then were about as high as at the present day, as is shown by some of his conveyances now in possession of the writer, some of which date back to the year 1728. For one-half acre he paid 10 pounds ($50); and for two acres he paid 40 pounds ($200); but as they were small tracts they were probably located near the village. [The above account refers to Abraham, the father of Abiel and not Abraham his son.] In 1756, Abraham [father of Abiel] made his last will which is as much a dissertation on the Christian graces as it is a conveyance of his property, bequeathing his property to his son Abiel and to his grandchildren as will be found in a note under Abraham (the father.) Abiel lived in the village which was the choice of his ancestors, where he reared a large family and his third son, Nathan, became the pioneer and the original settler of Delaware County.

Capt. Nathan Carpenter was born in Rehoboth in 1757, and grew to manhood amid the excitements preparatory to the Revolution, a zealous patriot. He was among the first to respond to the call of his country when the great colonial struggle came on, though scarcely more than a boy in age. He fought bravely at the battle of Bunker Hill, at which place his brother was killed and himself wounded. Afterwards he participated in several sanguinary battles, among them the pursuit and capture of General Burgoyne, at Saratoga. After the surrender of General Burgoyne, Captain Carpenter had an interview with him in which he took occasion to remark that he had very reluctantly accepted the command imposed upon him by the British Ministry--that of compelling him to war against the American Colonies. He soon after confirmed his position by returning to England and joining Pitt's party opposed to the war.

Carpenter described General Washington as being a tall, large man, of very imposing appearance and, like Buonaparte, devoid of warm or passionate affection, although so ardently and truly devoted to his country. Persons owed more gratitude to him collectively than they did individually. After the battle of Monmouth, Carpenter visited his home and during his stay was married to Miss Irene Reid. But he did not long remain at home, and soon after marriage returned to his post of duty. He took an active part in the campaigns and participated in many of the battles until a peace was conquered at Yorktown. The war was over and the troops were returning home. The battalion to which he belonged was expected home on the evening of a certain day. The young wife knew not whether her husband was living or dead. (Mail communications were not so complete nor soldiers' letters so common as during the last war [written 1898.) Full of hope, however, she prepared supper for both of them and then sat down to await his coming. Sadly she thought over the probabilities of his return now that the war had ended. She was beginning to despair and her heart to sink with hope deferred. A knock was heard at the door. She started up but was unable to speak or move further. When the door opened and, behold, both her husband and brother stood upon the threshold safe and sound. (The brother was Allen Carpenter, No. 848.) It was too much; she fell senseless, but her husband caught her in his arms. He had returned to enjoy with her the recompense of those hard-fought battles, to share with her the rest of his eventful life.

After the close of the war Mr. Carpenter lived in Connecticut until 1785, when he moved to the State of New York and purchased a large estate upon the Unadilla River. It was while residing here, that the excitement over the Ohio territory rose to a height exceeded only by that perhaps over California in later years. Public meetings were held at which were discussed the stories of its delightful climate and inexhaustible wealth. Never having become attached to the country which he had adopted as his home, he was inclined to share in the enthusiasm. And then, a life in the West would be congenial to his nature. One morning, after having ascended to the roof of his house to shovel off the snow, a frequent necessity in that climate, be broke the intelligence to his wife that he intended to leave that land of hills and snowbanks and go to the wonderful Ohio.

Having disposed of his estate and other effects which he would not need and having procured everything required in his future home he bade adieu to his numerous friends who had gathered to say farewell and started for the new Eldorado, on the 12th day of February, 1801. About twenty young men (Powerses, Smiths, etc., etc.,) who were going out to see the country, some of them afterwards becoming permanent settlers, accompanied him. He traveled on wagons and sleds as far as Pittsburg, Penn., where he loaded his effects and passengers into a boat and continued his journey by floating down the Ohio river. The beginning of his journey down the Ohio placed the little party beyond civilized limits and brought it a foretaste of the privations and dangers of pioneer life.

They traveled by day only, the boat being made fast to the shore by night, but shortly after leaving Pittsburg some of the passengers became anxious to travel at night also, and Captain Carpenter finally acceded to their wishes. The boat started out but did not proceed far before it struck a "sawyer", obstructions which were then so common in the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, and crushed in the bow. The hold was rapidly filling with water, when the break was rudely stopped and the water kept down, until the boat could be run ashore and all on board rescued, though not a little alarmed. A day was spent in repairing the damage, when they again proceeded on their journey, with light hearts and buoyant spirits.

Congeniality lightened every adversity and swelled every enjoyment. The variety of scenery contributed largely to the entertainment of the little band, as it floated down la belle rivi‚re. This voyage was long remembered and was highly interesting to the other members of the party, at least. Although early in the season, nature had already donned her spring clothes for the winter was indeed over. The knolls and valleys were covered with grass, and hundreds of deer which looked in great wonderment upon the strange barge, were seen grazing upon the green slope. Sometimes a solitary moose, with his huge antlers, or a bear would change the monotony of the scene and contribute to the variety of the bill of fare. Then turkeys were so plenty and deer so tame that les voyageurs never lacked for fresh meat. Marietta was left behind; prominent hills faded away in the distance; the last bend was passed and the boat arrived safely at the mouth of the Scioto river. But here a change must be made; in order to reach his destination the Scioto river must be ascended.

Accordingly the cargo and passengers were transferred to keel-boats, in which they were moved up to Franklinton, a place consisting of three or four log houses, and situated across the river from where Columbus now stands. Here a large canoe was procured and his goods transported up the Olentangy to the place where Hiram R. Carpenter now resides, and where they arrived on the 1st day of May, 1801, having been two months and eighteen days on the voyage. The first business in order was the erection of a cabin for a shelter, which was built on the bank of the river just above high water mark. It was rudely chinked with split sticks and covered with bark, but without floor or chimney. Flat stones were set up against the logs to make a safe place to build a fire. The cabin was scarcely finished when it commenced to rain and continued for eight days in succession. After the flood had abated the land was surveyed and according to the previous arrangement Captain Carpenter received choice of land in the section. He now began prospecting for a site on which to build a permanent home, which must be erected and finished before winter. His assistants were equally engaged in clearing, planting and hunting and the result was they harvested 500 bushels of corn, besides superabundantly supplying the party with the choicest meats. Game was plenty; deer was to be seen every day; turkeys were frequently shot from the cabin door and the creeks were full of fish.

During the summer a substantial hewed-log house was erected on the site of the present residence of Squire Carpenter. The family was moved into it and provided with improved furniture and other adjuncts of civilization. In the spring following Captain Carpenter's settlement, was joined by two other pioneer adventurers. The Colony now consisted of the families of Carpenter, Powers (who came with Carpenter), Cellar, and McKinnie. Cellar was a gunsmith and had manufactured guns for the war of Independence, while the others had used them to that end. They were now associated together, not in war, but in subduing the wilderness and building up homes in the new land of promise.

The children of Captain Carpenter, ten in number, were now young men and women and being of congenial disposition were sufficient company for each other to render their forest home cheerful and pleasant instead of suffering it to become lonely and irksome. They often had exciting stories to relate concerning their adventures with wild animals and the Indians. With the latter they were usually on pretty good terms. As many of those pioneer stories have been handed down to the present time, we will give one or two for an illustration. There were those among the Indians who sometimes became intolerable in their conduct, especially in their demands for whiskey, and the whites in such cases, did not hasten to enter into a skirmish with them, knowing that they were in bad repute even with their own people. An old Indian whose name was Sevans came to Carpenter's one day and asked for "whisk." Ira, the eldest son, who chanced to be present, knowing too well what the result would be, informed Mr. Sevans that he could not be accommodated. The old Indian urged his demand with so much importunity that it became necessary to use other kinds of persuasion than argument. He first drew his knife but Ira wrested that from him with little difficulty which rendered the red man furious, and he began drawing his tomahawk from his belt, when a kick from his pale-faced adversary sent him sprawling out of the door. As soon as he recovered himself he threw his tomahawk at young Carpenter with all the force he could muster, but the door was brought together in time to intercept the blow. The weapon passed through the door however, and was now in the possession of the white man, who chastised Mr. Sevans quite severely. He then gave him back his knife and tomahawk with the injunction never to be seen there again -- an injunction the old rascal faithfully obeyed.

There being a surplus of help at home. John Carpenter, the second son, concluded that he would hire out his services and obtained employment of Mr. Patterson who had a trading post at Sandusky. He set out for that place on foot and alone, following the Indian trails which were the only roads there were at that time through the wilderness. He traveled in the daytime, guided by those trails and a pocket compass, and at night slept by the side of a log. His first night's rest was quiet and undisturbed but late in the second night be was awakened by shrieks and howls, the source of which was evidently approaching nearer every moment. Being thoroughly awakened and conscious of his impending danger he remained perfectly still by the side of his log. The shrieks were soon changed to snuffings and then beast sprang upon the log directly over his head; walking down the log smelling of its intended victim, it again alighted upon the ground and after smelling of him from head to foot, began to cover him up with leaves that were within reach. After having accomplished this feat to its satisfaction it retired some distance and began to shriek most hideously, and soon Carpenter heard a response in the distance which convinced him that he was the subject of a grand supper talk. Not wishing to become the food of a panther and her cubs, he quietly crawled out of the pile of leaves which had been heaped upon him and climbed up the nearest tree. The answering sound which he had heard drew nearer, and soon the young family made its appearance. They tore open the bed of leaves, but their anticipated supper had disappeared. Uttering hideous shrieks, the old one struck the track and followed it to the tree and rearing up against the trunk with her fore feet stared indignantly at the subject of her disappointment. When the morning dawned, the huge panther withdrew her interesting family and young Carpenter, happy in his escape, went on his journey.

Captain Carpenter died in 1814. On the evening of the 9th of September, a little more than thirteen years after his settlement in the township, he was returning from the town of Delaware, on horseback, the animal on which he was mounted being a very vicious one, and having left town late, night overtook him before he reached home. He could not see the road and his horse had no disposition to follow it. Winding along the river it passed between the bank and a tree that stood very near it. An overhanging limb swept the rider from his seat, and, being so near the brink, he fell down the precipice upon the rocks below. He raised upon his hands and uttered a solitary cry for help. The familiar voice attracted the attention of a neighbor near by, who hastened to his assistance. He immediately asked for water, which the man, with his hat for a cup, procured for him from the river. Dr. Lamb was soon at the scene of the accident, but his injuries were fatal, and he soon expired, thus ending, at the age of fifty-six, his eventful life. His death cast a cloud over the entire community. They were all conscious that they had lost a friend. His family were devotedly attached to him; his physician and many friends wept at his grave, as they laid him by the side of his wife who had died ten years before."

Captain Carpenter's seven children who survived him, lived to the average age of 81 years, aggregating 570 years. The eldest daughter, Mrs. Swinton [Lucy Carpenter Swinerton], went to Illinois in 1816, and died in 1873, at the age of 93 years. Alfred died in Illinois, and Nathan, at his residence in Worthington. The others are all dead except Mrs. Case, now 83 years of age. Most of them died in the country in which they grew up. Mrs. Case is living in Licking County in good health for one of her years. Sarah, who married John Hardin, Esq., and who died at the residence of her son-in-law, A. S. Goodrich, Esq., in the winter of 1878 or 1879, at the age of 88, was the last surviving child, except Mrs. Case, of Captain Carpenter.

From Marilyn Moseley Cryder and George R. Cryder, HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY, online:

The first permanent settler [of Delaware Co., OH] was Nathan Carpenter, who with Avery Powers and a small company journeyed from Chenango County, New York, and after two months and eighteen days arrived at the location of his grant in what is now Liberty Township. This was May 1, 1801, and they built a temporary log house to meet their needs. Very shortly after 1801 other colonists began to find their way into many other parts of the county. One of the earliest was Henry Perry who came direct from Wales and located in what is now Radnor township.

More About Nathan Carpenter:
Burial: September 1814, Carpenter's Farm Cem., Liberty Twp., Delaware Co., Ohio.1235
Military service 1: Bet. May 5 - December 17, 1775, Revolutionary War service: Capt., 3rd Battalion under Col. Sage, Capt. Parker's Co., 1776, Conn. Vol's (dates of enlistment & dischg.).1236, 1237
Military service 2: Bet. March 7, 1777 - March 17, 1780, Second enlistment, Continental Army (dates of enlist. & dischg.).1238, 1239
Moved: February 12, 1801, From Tioga Co. (now Chenango Co.), N.Y., to Delaware Co., OH.1240
Property: December 3, 1800, Purchased 520 ac. of land in what is now Delaware Co., OH, 5 mi. south of town of Delaware.1241
Residence 1: May 1, 1801, Arrived in Delaware Co., Ohio; Nathan the pioneer and first settler in Delaware Co..1241, 1242, 1243
Residence 2: December 3, 1800, Oxford, Chenango Co., New York .1244

More About Nathan Carpenter and Irene Reid:
Marriage: February 7, 17811245

Children of Nathan Carpenter and Irene Reid are:
  1. +Lucinda Carpenter, b. September 21, 1781, Willington, Tolland Co., Connecticut1246, 1247, 1248, 1249, 1250, d. 1873, Grant Co., Wisconsin1251.
Created with Family Tree Maker

Home | Help | About Us | | | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
© 2009