Tracing the Wingate Family Tree? So far I have got back to the beginning of the eighteenth century with Gabriel Wingate who married Mary (Perceval?). He was possibly involved in coal mining because of the strong connections of his descendants to this industry. Gabriel possibly came to Scotland as a hired expert collier as many others did at this time to help local landowners exploit their coal reserves. His son (also called Gabriel) later lived in Govan, Glasgow, Scotland and several of the descendants from this branch went on to become colliery managers. Common Wingate family names including Gabriel, Gilbert, Robert, Walter, and William. Branches of the family tree have been traced to Austrailia, Canada, England, New Zealand, South Africa and USA.
Some interesting family members:
1) James Wingate (1806-1877) - Colliery Manager at various mines in Stirlingshire
2) David Wingate (1828-1892) - 'The Collier Poet', Lanarkshire, Scotland. Some of his poetry can be found at http://www.geocities.com/scotlandsmahame/davidwingatecollierpoet.html
3) Walter Wingate (1817-1883) - emigrated to Clunes, Victoria, Australia and became a gold miner and hotel owner
4) William Wingate (1823-1866) - emigrated to Ballarat in Victoria, Australia in gold rush and became gold mine surveyor
5) Robert Wingate (1840-1905) - emigrated to USA and became mining engineer and business entrepreneur at Tacoma, Washington Teritory, USA. (Subject of 'Carbon River Coal Country' by Nancy Irene Hall, published by Heritage Press, Box 24, Orting Washington 98360, USA)
6) Gabriel Wingate (1847-1937) - emigrated to USA and became a mining engineer based out of Astoria, Oregon, USA
7) Beaumont Neilson Wingate (1849-1887) - emigrated to USA and became a shipping agent in Honolulu and San Francisco
8) Gilbert Wingate (1850-1916) - emigrated to South Africa and founded successful building contractor firm
9) Walter Wingate (1865-1918) - Hamilton Schoolteacher, Scotland. Some of his poetry can be found at http://www.rampantscotland.com/poetry/blpoems_wwindex.htm
10) James Beaumont Wingate (1871-1910) - druggist is San Francisco to joined the gold rush on 1898 to Alaska, became a gold miner and newspaper editor, before returning to California
11) David Wingate (1890-19??) - Army Captain in Scottish Rifles who was awarded Military Cross
I have put some old family photos on this site. If we are related please send me an e-mail, I'll be delighted to find even more distant cousins. Finally, I do my best to ensure data is correct. If you see an error or have additional information please let me know and I'll update the site.
|The Wingate Family Tree (Scottish Branch)
Updated July 9, 2007
Edit Your Page
The content shown on this page has been submitted by a Genealogy.com customer, and is not subject to verification by Genealogy.com. Neither Genealogy.com nor its affiliates are responsible for the accuracy of any information contained on this page. The opinions expressed on this page are the author's alone and not the opinions of Genealogy.com.
|© 2009 Ancestry.com|