Notes for William Lea IV: THE Lea's who founded Leasburg, NC
William Lea, the son of Col. William Lea and his wife, Mary, was born in 1682 in New Kent Co., Va. He married Francis Major of King and Queen Co., va. They were the parents of James, William, Frances, and John Lea plus daughters born in 1708, 1712, 1714, 1717, and 1722. Three of the brothers moved to Orange Co., NC which later became a part of the newly formed Caswell Co., NC. They moved there about the same time as their sister Sarah and her husband, William Sargent. They lived within miles of one another.
William signed a Petition of Loyalty to his Majesty on March 12, 1701/2, and on October 6, 1703, he was granted 100 acres in King and Queen Co., Va. At the same time he purchased an additional 100 acres in King and Queen Co., on the north side of John madison's Mill on the north side of the Mattipony River. These last 100 acres were not disposed of until 1784, at which time his son, John, applied for his share.