Notes for WILLIAM I (M. Sarah Jackson) BUSH: WILLIAM I BUSH (May 24, 1770- Dec, 11 1804) age 34 Dates from Bush family Bible.
married SARAH JACKSON on Dec 2, 1793. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. MOST IMPORTANT CLUE: GILLAH BUSH WAS BORN JAN 2, 1773. (SHE MUST BE SISTER OF OLD WILLIAM BUSH, FOR WHOM HE NAMED HIS DAUGHTER GILLAH)
2. DOCUMENTS: 1. Deed from LEWIS GOODWIN 1798 A 202 Chowan Co 1) A LEWIS GOODWIN, SON of Joseph Goodwin and Ruth WARD married SARAH PROCTOR July 2, 1792. This is one year before William Bush married Sarah Jackson. ) Joseph Goodwin (HIS FATHER) in 1790 Fed census for Chowan-1 FWM over 16, 1 FWF.
2) Lewis GOODWIN signed CHOWAN CO marriage bond of Gracey Goodwin to Isaac HILL WARD (b. in Bertie Co) Jan 26, 1797 (4 years after William Bush married Sarah Jackson. The other signer was William NORFLEET-next generation, William T Bush marries a Norfleet descendant.)
3). In will of Edward TROTMAN (1794) Chowan co NC, he leaves land purchased of LEWIS GOODWIN. Note: Edward Trotman was married to Elizabeth WALTON, daughter of Timothy WALTON(1710-1770 CHOWAN CO) and MARY BENBURY who married second in 1771-JACOB HUNTER). Old William's son married Martha Twine, whose mother, Widow Treasey Twine, married second William WALTON.
4) Lewis Goodwin in Chowan Co 1790 Federal Census--1 FWM over 16, 1 FWM under 16, 2 FWF
5) Sarah Goodwin, wife of Lewis Goodwin--Hathaway Div of estates, 1808
3. William Bush Signed marriage bond of Josiah JONES and Besty STANDIN Dec 30, 1793. Married Nov. 3, 1793 (Abstract of Marriage Bonds from Early North Carolina Settlers, 1700-1900s))
4 . Have copy of original petition Dec term 1807. Regarding William Bush and Widow, Sarah Jackson Bush: "Petition of Henry HURDLE who has intermarried with Sarah Bush, widow of William Bush, deceased. " William Bush died leaving 4 children, Viz William, John, Mary, Gilley with whom your petitoner is entitled to an equal share of the personal estate of the said William Bush, decd. It is furhter said that William Bush died possessed of sundry negroes and other personal property-may it therfefore please your whorships to order your writ to be (?) to the sheriff of your county to summon twelve freeholders (can't read) to allot and lay off to your petituioner dower in the said land and to divide the personal property among the respresentives alllowing the petitoners an equal share.. " $175, and Treasey $200. Total $1250. Detailed accounts follow.
"But Mary Bush is dead and Henry Hurdle married the widow and has two children by her, to wit Nancy HURDLE and Rachel HURDLE
5 . I have copy of the original petition: Dec 11, 1804 State of North Carolina "Sarah Bush, William Jackson, and James Jackson are held and firmly bound unto Stephen CABRUSS Esq. Chairman of the County Court in the just and full sum of $1250 to be paid. .." Signatures of Sarey Bush, James Jackson, W. Jackson
6. CONNECTIONS OF JAMES BOUSH (BUSH) -and BUNCH-STANDIN-THACH -BLOUNT 1) JAMES BOUSH b. 1745 M. Esther THACH (b. after 1748) in Chowan co Or Perquimans Oct 1766 Chowan Esther Thach (b. ABT 1725) was the child of John THACH (b 1715) and Sarah STANDIN - Chowan Co. COULD JAMES BOUSH AND ESTHER THACH BE THE PARENTS OF my WM BUSH (born 4 years later?) Could Betsy Standin be a descendant of parents of Sarah Stantin?
2) MICAJAH BUNCH MARRIED SARAH STANDIN IN 1818 in Chowan Co.. William THOMPSON signed bond. The Standin name is connected to James Bouch. (See above info. ) James Boush marrried Esther Thach whose mother was SARAH STANDIN. AND the THOMPSON name is connected To Abram Twine Bush (his first wife was Elizabeth Thompson) .
The only marriage bond I have signed by old William is JOSIAH JONES TO BETSY STANDIN. Dec 30, 1793---the same year he married SARAH JACKSON.
3) A James BOUSH signed the oath of allegiance to state of North Carolina in Perquimans Co in 1778.
4). James BUSH signs will of Nicholas Crisp on May 22, 1727 in Chowan Precinct. William Bush's wife Sarah Jackson descends from John Durant & Sarah Cooke. Nicholas Crisp was the father of Hagar Crisp who marries George iii Durant, son of John Durant and Sarah Cooke.
NB: Perquimans and Chowan were formed out of Nansemond Co Va, which became Albemarle Co NC
5) . Joseph BL OUNT marries George iii Durant's sister, Sarah Durant and Nicholas Crisp's daughter marries George iii Durant. AND Nicholas Crisp's will is signed by JAMES BOUSH. That's as close as I have been able to connect James Boush to William Bush. Except for the fact of the name Boush, all connections are through Williiam Bush's wife Sarah Jackson.
6). Marriage Bond of William Bush and Sarah Jackson 2 Dec 1793 Chowan Co NC Bondsmen: JAMES JACKSON and JOSEPH BLOUNT. a.James Jackson was probably Sarah Jackson's brother, James Jackson)
b. Blount-Durant connection: Joseph Blount- An earlier Joseph Blount was the 2nd husband of Sarah (Whedbee) Hoskins. Sarah Whedbee was the great-great grandmother of Sarah Jackson, who marries William Bush Joseph Blount's 3 wives were all grand-daughters of John Durant and Sarah Cooke.
7. CENSUS RECORDS: 1) 1800 CENSUS: Household . Chowan Co NC p. 127 (He lived tilll 1805) William Bush males under 10 2 (one is WilliamT (born 1795) and one is John T (born 1793) males 26-45 1 This must refer to William Bush himself b. 1770 Females under 10 1 Probably Gilly Bush Females 16-26 1 wife, Sarah Jackson Bush b. 1774-1784 (prob 1784)
Mary was born in 1800, year of this census-not listed.
2) 1810 Census Chowan Co NC p. 544 WILLIAM BUSH DECEASED AND WIFE, SARAH, REMARRIED HENRY HURBLE. Henry Hurdle: Males 10-16 1 probably John Males 16-45 2 Henry Hurdle himself. Other could be William Bush born 1795. or Henry H Bush (Mary died in 1815) Females 16-25 1 Sarah Jackson Bush Hurdle She is listed in this same age class 10 years later. She must have been nearer 16 in 1800 with 3 children already.( I am estimating b. 1784) Ten years later she is 25 or younger. (therefore born 1783-1785)
8. NOTES ON CHILDREN OF WILLIAM BUSH AND SARAH JACKSON.: 1. William T Bush married first Leah ROUNTREE , and 2nd Martha TWINE 2. GILLLAH BUSH married Hardy HURDLE 3. Mary Bush died at age 15 4. John T Bush married 1st Margaret FELTON 2nd Mary Ann EVANS
9. POSSIBLE BUSH PARENTAGE:
1 .There is a William Bush in Bertie County in 1717 with 1000 acres, There is also a John Bush in Bertie County in 1717 with 900 acres. My William could be descendant of either.
2. 1790 census, Jones Co NC There is a William Bush in 1790 census, Newburn Dist, Jones co. p. 144 males 16+ 2 females under 16 2 FWF 1 all other free 1 slaves 15
3. There is a William Bush in Bertie Co in 1733
4. A Willam Bush was executor for Christopher Cocke who came from Cornwell England and settled in Norfolk about 1685. Chrisopher Cocke died in 1719. (Boddie Southside Va Families Vol ii (1956) NSPORTEE Wm Bush who married Martha HILL . Yet to be proven. I. MCLENDON NAME (MClendon and Bush marriages in both families. a). Immigrant Wm (b. 1642) His daughter Eleanor Bush married Francis McClendon, son of Dennis McClendon b). Immigrant Wm (b. 1642) His daughter Elizabeth Bush married Thomas McClendon, son of Dennis McClendon mentioned above. c). Wife of William Bush (b. 1770) was Sarah Jackson, descendant of Deborah Astine and Deborah's husband, John Whedbee, Deborah Astine (1668-1732) was the SECOND wife of this same Dennis McClendon whose chldren married the two Bush girls.
II. TIME LINE FOR transportee: WILLILAM BUSH A William Bush deposed he came to Va in 1658. He was 65 years old in 1707. Therefore born 1636 and lived there 15 years or more within 12 miles of weyanoake River, lst river on right as you go down Black Water River and 12 miles above Maherine. Neighbor: Nathan KING moved opposite to mouth of said Weyanoake. In 1707 people were calling Weuanoake River the Nottaway, after the Nottoway Indians, nearby dwellers.
III. Time line for William Bush: 1642 -born in England 1658 -Isle of Wight 1658-1678 --lived on Weyanoke River for 20 years 1670 according to some/ others say 1677- married Martha Hill (daugher of ISAAC HILL) in Virginia Isaac HILLdied in Chowan Co. in 1710 (children Michael, John, Isaac Nathaniel & Martha) Witnesses: William Maul, John Bryant and John Hale. There was a JOHN HILL gentleman who received patent of land in 1644 in Nansemond Va (John Hill was grandson of Thomas Hill and Mary Piercy)
1695-brought to Bath Co NC by WILLIAM BARROW
1701 was in NC in Beaufort 1702 - served on -vesty St. Paul's Episcopal Church with Francis WELLS, William EARLY, William JONES and John WALKER 1707 proved his rights in Chowan Co 1716- died at the home of William BRANCH witnesses to will: William CRAWFORD and John SMITH " Last will and testament proved by ye oaths of John CROMBE and Mary DAMIRILL"
IV. CHILDREN OF transported WILLIAM I BUSH:
1. WILLIAM II BUSH . (After 1677 -- born Chowan Co NC- MARRIED :MARY WILLIAM Child of William II Bush and Mary William: John I Bush Wm ii Bush Inherited from Father Wm Bush I - "plantation whereon he now lives" 1717 Chowan co 900 acres 1 taxable 1741 William Bush deeded land to Isaac Hill Junior "plantation where he now lives")
2. ROSE BUSH ( b. some say 1673 others - after 1677 d. after 1750 married GEORGE WYNNs about 1701 Rose is mentioned in father's will 1717 as Rose Winns -- received 1 shilling Children of Rose Bush and George Wynne: a. John Wynne. b. 1702 d. after 10 Feb 1750 b. Joseph Wynne c. Benjamin Wynne (Colonel) d. William Wynne (d after 3 Dec 1758) e . Mary Wynne b. after 1705 f. Sarah Wynne
3. JOHN II BUSH ,( Sr ) ( b.after 1685 --.in Bertie d. before 13 Sept 1728) INFORMATION ON JOHN BUSH II, CALLED SENIOR. 1) John Bush Senior Married : Mary BYANT , daughter of Wm Bryant & Eliz She married 2ND THOMAS MCLendon (Widower of her sister in Law Eliz Bush) 2) 1717 inherited from father--"plantation whereon he (ie. John Sr) now lives" 3) 1717 Chowan Co tax list 1000 acres 1 taxable 4) John II Bush Sr died intestate in 1728, property left to his HIS SON WILLIAM III BUSH
Children of John II Bush and Mary Bryant: a. WILLIAM III BUSH b. 1716 d. 1752 Mary Hare, Hand, Hard? Married Mary( Hand, Hard, Hare?) Children of William Bush and Mary Hand: i Edward Bush 1739-1769 (So Carolina) ii Zilpa marr Ezekial Williams iii JOHN III BUSH ( born 1745) marr Mary (Polly) Miller John III and Polly Miller had: a) MARY ANN BUSH b) JOHN IV BUSH b. ELIZABETH ii Bush b. Chowan Co c. JOHN III Bush b. 1718 Chowan Co d, 1767 ( Married Ann) John III and Ann had 2 children a) JOHN V BUSH b) JEREMIAH BUSH d. MARY ii Bush b. Chowan Co e. HARDY Bush b. 1722 in Isle of Wight Marr. Catherine Franck Hardy and Catherine had: a) JOHN COUNCIL BUSH b 1752 in craven d Ga b) WILLLIAM MARTIN BUSH b 1755 Craven d. 1799 c) MARY BUSH b. 1757 marr. WIMBERLY
f. ISAAC Bush b 1722 . Chowan Co married Charity JONES (Note Jones name connected with My Wm Bush. WilliAM Bush signed marriage bond of Jones to Standin)_ -- Iaacc Bush moved with all of his children except William to South Carolina. -- His son W illiam Bush moved to Montgomery Co, Ga in 1745 and died in 1808.
4. MARY I BUSH (b.1671 d. before 6 Aug. 1740 - Mary I Bush marr (M. before 1717) John EARLY (b.- d. 1740), son of John Early & Eleanor. John was the brother in law of Anthony Williams according to article in Historical Southern Families vol VI (mentioned as Mary Early in 1717 in father's William I Bush will)
Children of Mary I Bush and John Early: a. John Early Jr marr. Elizabeth Boone b. Margaret Early marr Dennis McClendon, brother of her 2 aunts' husbands; Elinor and Elizabeth She was their neice and also their sister in law c. Thomas Early b. Chowan Co d. Mary Early marr: Blake of Bertie e. Sarah Early marr: Keefe of Bertie f. Elizabeth Early marr. Albertson of Bertie g. Bethsheba Early marr. ? Morris of Bertie h. Rebecca Early
5. MARTHA BUSH) 1) marr.) 1st ( before 1717) Anthony WILLIAMS (1675-1718 in CHowan. His will was 3 Dec 1717)
2) Marr. 2nd William CORLEY
6. ELINOR BUSH ( b.1679) Mentioned as Elinor McClendon in father William I Bush's will in 1717--recd 1 shillin 1) married 1st Michael HILL (he d. before 1713 ) 2) married 2nd FRANCIS MCCLENDON b/f 1714 (He died 19 Jan 1726 in Bertie Co)
7. ELIZABETH BUSH ( b. after 1677 d. 1728/29) She was not married at time of father William I Bush's will in 1717. marr. She later married THOMAS MCCLENDON. ( He Marr 2nd his wife's sister in law Mary Bryant Bush)
8. SARAH BUSH
10. STALLLINGS AND ROUNTREE NAME ( deeds and marriages with both Bush families) 1. Immigrant Wm I Bush and Martha 's daughter Elinor Bush married Michael HILL who died in 1701. 2. Elinor Bush and Michael Hill had Isaac Hill (1713-1772) who married, Mary? STALLLINGS (d.1749), daughter of Lot Stallings Bertie Co (Nicholas Stallings lived near my William T. Bush) 3. In 1700 Nicholas STALLINGS deed land of Bennets Creek to Robert ROUNTREE. 4. Nicholas Stallings 28 Oct 1702 deed 2000 acres UNNR in Nansemond River adjoining PercivalChampian 5. William T Bush's lst wife was Leah ROUNTREE, daughter of Thomas Rountree. They had ROUNTREE BUSH in 1821. 6. Nicholas STALLINGS- deed with John T Bush, son of Old William Bush and Sarah Jackson. 1825. 7. My Old William's son (William T Bush) married 2nd Martha Twine, daughter of Elisha Twine, and Treasey (Unknown) Twine. Elisha's brother, Thomas Twine married Priscilla Perry. Their daughter Priscilla Twine married Jesse Stallings in 1808. Willliam T. Bush lived next door to Nicholas Stallings. 8. Marriage bond of BEMJAMIN GREGORY and MARGARET GREGORY OCT 29, 1838. Bondsmen: NICHOLAS STALLINGS AND JOHN BUSH (son of Wm Bush (b.; 1770) 9. Elias STALLINGS (SON IN LAW OF THOMAS ROUNTREE )) and John Rountree were witnesses on land conveyance of Robert ROUNTREE of Nansemond Co Va to Gabriel Lassiter, 175 acres adjoining the lands of Robert Rountree and Joseph Wright. May 24, 1735 10. Will of Thomas ROUNTREE , (wife Elizabeth STALLINGS ) dated Dec 1, 1746 proved July Ct 1748- to sons: Charles Rountree, Thomas Rountree, William Wallace and Thomas Rountree. SON IN LAW ELIAS STALLINGS. EXEC. CHARLES AND THOMAS ROUNTREE, SONS. WITNESS THOMAS WALTON, JOHN FREEMAN.
11. BEAR CREEK BEAR BRANCH (William T Bush owned land on Bear Swamp) 1. Francis McClendon and wife, Elinor BUSH , daughter of immigrant Wm I Bush deeded some land to Thomas Rogers on "ye west side of Chowan River joining Charles GAVIN and ye mouth of BEAR BRANCH " 28 FEB 1704 2. Francis McClendon's son, Dennis Bush married Deborah Astine (AFTER the death of her 2nd husband, John Whedbee--abt 1700) ), Deborah Astine Sutton, Whedbee, McLendon was the ancestor of Sarah Jackson who married my William Bush (b. 1770) 3. Sarah Jackson's grandfather lived on BEAR SWAMP IN 1704. 4. A William Bush bought land on Bear Swamp on May 7, 1726 for 20 pd. for 135 acres. ON BEAR SWAMP, ADJOINING BENJAMIN WARREN, HENRY BRADLEY. WITNESSES: EDWARD TIDMAN AND NICHOLAS FAIRLESS. NOV COURT 1726. Bertie Co Deed Book B, p. 182 5. However, a William Bush deeded land 20 pd. for 135 acres. to Benjamin WARREN , Nov 7, 1726 on Bear Swamp adj Benjamin WARREN , Henry BADLY . w. Edward TIDMAN , Nicholas FAIRLESS. Nov ct 1726 (Bertic do deed book p. 186) This may have not been all of the original land.
12. TWINE- BUSH- ROUNTREE- FREEMAN- PERRY- LEARY -HOSKINS- NORFLEET-RIDDICK - WALTON-HURDLE CONNECTIONS: THEY ALL MARRIED EACH OTHER'S KIDS ALL THROUGH THE YEARS: 1. We have Wm FREEMAN (b. 1712 Norfolk Co Va d Gates Co-then Chowan Co NC) , son of Wm Freeman (1685-1737) and Mary CORDING , having a daugher Christian Freeman, who married JOSIAH PERRY (1741-1821) Josiah Perry's 2nd wife was ELIZABETH TWINE , sister of ELISHA TWINE and aunt to MARTHA TWINE who married WILLIAM T BUSH (WHICH brings us to my later Bush group) (Josiah Perry's 3rd wife was Amilescent Freeman, dau of John Freeman who died 1793) 2. Mary FREEMAN (will 1807) , sister of Christian above, married William ROUNTREE- 29 Nov 1773 William T BUSH married Leah ROUNTREE before he married MARTHA TWINE 3. James Freeman, brother of the above Christian and Mary Freeman, married lst Sellah (or Celia) WALTON in 1770. Treasey () Twine, mother of Elisha TWINE , married 2nd William WALTON , who was guardian to both William T.BUSH , son of old William Bush (b1770) and guardian to Martha TWINE, daughter of Elisha Twine. 4.JOHN FREEMAN (1733-1793 Bertie Co) Christian Rountree 2nd child, Leah Freeman (b. 1759) married 1778 William Leary (will 1821 Bertie Co) Rachel Hoskins (daughter of J William Hoskins and Sarah Whedbee) married Job Leary in 1766. She was the sister of Sarah Hoskins who married William Jackson. Sarah Hoskins Jackson became the grandmother of old William Bush. 5. And then also through the Freemans, Christian Freeman (b. 1770) married Abraham NORFLEET in 1805. Abraham was the son of John Norfleet and Elizabeth RIDDICK. Abraham was the brother of Pleasant Norfleet who married John TWINE, grandfather of MARTHA TWINE who married WILLIAM T. BUSH 6. Rachel Hurdle, daughter of Sarah Jackson Bush Hurdle, marries a WALTON (George). William T Bush and MARTHA TWINE have as guardian WILLIAM WALTON, 2ND HUSBAND OF MARTHA TWINE'S MOTHER Treasey. There are no Waltons in my direct line, but the Walton name keeps appearing.
13. OTHER POSSIBLE PARENTAGE- not likely 1. ABRAHAM BUSH (1610-1670) Va 2. Richard Bush (1640-1706) M. ELIZABETH BIBBY 3. Richard Bush ii (1685-1740) M Elizabeth ROBERTS (1705-1788) 4. Richard iii Bush (1678-1735 ) M. 1st Mary PRESCOTT M 2nd Susannah HINDS Richard Bush and Mary Jane Prescott had 9 children: Were any of these children William Bush. Not if they all stayed in South Carolina.
14. Nicholas Stallings lived in Perquimans Co. 125 acres (arrears on quit rents-1729 to 1732 ) His name is associated with WM T and John Bush in 1823. Could my Bushes have come from Perq? Could my old William Bush (b. 1770) have come from Perquimans ?
NICHOLAS STALLINGS NAME: associated with his son, William T Bush. Check Perquimans Co where Stalllings family lived in 1740's.
William CRAWFORD Winnessed trasnportee, William Bush's will in 1717 also witnessed will of William Hooker, husband of Anne Cooke. They had Ann Hooker who married Robert Evans, collateral relative to my Wm. Bush family.
IT'S ALWAYS THE USUAL SUSPECTS, BUT I NEVER FIND THE PARENTS OF OLD WILLIAM BUSH
The name Bush is spelled both Bush Boush in the documents for Elisha Twine Bush-later descendant of old William Bush The spelling in the family Bible is consistently Bush.
Good copy of 1751 map of Gates Co showing Edenton and Chowan River on Gates Co web site. This is 20 years before old Wm Bush was born.
A Lt John Bush was in Revolutionary War from NC 139 83
EDENTON COURT HOUSE used for lst time in Nov 1718 on Edenton Bay (Albemarle Sound Bay). A few blocks from home of dscendant Abram Twine Bush and Lula Rice.
A William Bush was in the Continental line pvt Brickell's Co 1777 W. deatd Ap 77. 7th Reg. James Hogun Capt
More About WILLIAM I (M. Sarah Jackson) BUSH and SARAH i (M. Wm Bush/Hurdle) JACKSON: Single: December 02, 1793, Chowan Co marr bond-.
Marriage Notes for WILLIAM I (M. Sarah Jackson) BUSH and SARAH i (M. Wm Bush/Hurdle) JACKSON: Sarah Jackson marriage bond signed by James Jackson Dec 2, 1793. (I have the record) According to 1800 census born between 1774 and 1784. Remarried Henry Hurdle Aug 14, 1807. Henry died May 1816. (I have the marriage bond)
Children by Henry Hurdle: Nancy Hurdle and Rachel Hurdle (mentioned in William Bush' intestate estate on settlement after her remarriage)
Children of WILLIAM I (M. Sarah Jackson) BUSH and SARAH i (M. Wm Bush/Hurdle) JACKSON are: