John (M. E Hoskins) Coffield (b. Abt. 1736, d. 1789)
John (M. E Hoskins) Coffield was born Abt. 1736 in CHOWAN CO, and died 1789 in owned part of property in Edenton (1722) originally called "ye town on Queen Ann's Creek". He married (1) Elizabeth i (M. Coffield) HOSKINS on April 25, 1757 in Chowan Co MARRIAGE BOND-THOMAS JONES, daughter of Thomas iii (M. Mary unknown) Hoskins. He married (2) Elizabeth Thompson on March 20, 1778 in signed by William Jackson & Nathaniel Allen-Chowan Co marriage bond.
Notes for John (M. E Hoskins) Coffield: JOHN COFFIELD (b. abut 1732 - 1789) Chowan Co.
M. ELIZABETH ii HOSKINS in 1757 in Chowan Co. -------------------------------------------------------------------
1. A John Coffield Signed marriage bond for MARY HOSKINS who married JAMES BOND Oct 8, 1789. This John Coffield may have been his son John Coffield, Jr.
2. J. William Hoskins's daughter, Winnifred, earlier married a Bond
3. According to Allen Parker, there were 2 John Coffields in Chowan Co in 1850. One John Coffield was an illiterate farmer with a 7 acres farm valued at $100 The other John Coffield owned a 200 acres farm value at $1200. Either or both of these could be a descendant of John Coffield and Elizabeth Hoskins.
4. A John Coffield married ELIZABETH THOMPSON ON 20 MAY 1778. MARRIAGE BOND SIGNED BY WILLIAM JACKSON and by NATHANIEL ALLEN. This may have been the son of John Coffield and Elizabeth Hoskins.
5. A very early John Coffield of Nansemond Co was born in 1669. He died before 1704. His father was Gresham Coffield, Junior, born 1640 in Nansemond Co Va. He married in 1660. John Coffield's siblings were William Coffield (1661- abt 1704), James (b. 1664) , and Gresham ii Coffield (b. 1668) .
6. A John Coffield owned property in Chowan Co in 1719. This was part of original grant to THOMAS GILBERT.
7. JOHN COFFIELD d listed in 1787 census Chowan Co. Head of household. white males under 16, 1 white female, 8 blacks young and old, 8 blacks.
8. An advertisement taken out by John Coffield of Chowan Co in the Virginia Gazette dated Jan 21, 1771 "taken up by subscriber a Negro fellow who calls himself "Adam" and branded on the cheek I.C. He is about 40 years old and 5 feet 4 inches high and says he belongs to the Indians. The owner may have him on proving his property and paying charges."
9. His son, JEREMIAH COFFIELD d married SARAH BANKS , and had ELIZABETH COFFIELD who married ZACHARIAH EVANS . founder of Evans Methodist Church.
Children of JOHN COFFIELD and ELIZABETH HOSKINS. (Married 1757) Thomas b. abt 1758 Mentioned in grandfather Thomas Hoskins will- 1762 M. 1778 Eliz Thompson John b. abt 1758-39 Mentioned in grandfather Thomas Hoskins will =1762 Jeremiah b. after 1762 before 1783 Mentioned in grandmother Mary Unknown Hoskins will-1783 Benjamin
10. John Coffield-- listed in Federal 1790 census for Chowan Co 1 male over 16, 3 under 16, 1 female, 19 slaves. This is probably, John Coffield, Jr who married Sarah Banks. Benjamin Coffield listed in Federal 1790 census for Chowan Co. 1 males over 16, 1 free white female, 12 slaves.
More About John (M. E Hoskins) Coffield: Burial: Unknown, died Chowan co.
More About John (M. E Hoskins) Coffield and Elizabeth i (M. Coffield) HOSKINS: Marriage: April 25, 1757, Chowan Co MARRIAGE BOND-THOMAS JONES.
More About John (M. E Hoskins) Coffield and Elizabeth Thompson: Marriage: March 20, 1778, signed by William Jackson & Nathaniel Allen-Chowan Co marriage bond.
Children of John (M. E Hoskins) Coffield and Elizabeth i (M. Coffield) HOSKINS are: